Where's the off switch? There isn't one.

One of the biggest difficulties I have is monotropic thoughts and when I'm feeling overloaded it's harder to deal with. It's absolutely useless thinking but I can't stop. I've noticed these thoughts offer a degree of certainty. Not about the situation itself but for my own head. As in, it knows what it's going to be thinking about.

What I've been faced with in the past is very unexpected change in direction and then my brain doesn't know what to do with itself. I've had slight experience of that recently which has been a welcome break but also left me feeling off.

I meditate every day. I take supplements. I accept the fact it's how my brain is. I allow it to wander freely where it wants to and understand "thoughts are just thoughts". It's not going to run out of steam of its own accord. I've faced the nature of these thoughts time and again through life. Now I know what's going on it doesn't help except I feel less confused. Ive read other threads and know there's other people like this. I try to keep myself busy but other health matters impede on this. 

I'll probably delete this after I've posted it like I always do. There's nothing anyone can do I just needed to get it off my chest.

Parents
  • Now I know what's going on it doesn't help except I feel less confused.

Well, fwiw, I think it helps me MASSIVELY to feel less confused.

When I was confused about myself and my intent and my motivations, I was scared that I was either a) mad b) sad c) bad.

It turns out......I'm d) autistic.

Much happier now.  Much better able to cope.  Much, much happier............and  c  a   l  m .

• I was scared that I was either a) mad b) sad c) bad.

not 'dangerous to know'? (Byron).

I had a catch-all term for myself - nutty.

'Nutty as a fruitcake' which has always confused me as there aren't many nuts in a fruitcake Thinking

Reply Children