Family Resistant to Late Diagnosis

Does anyone here deal w family members who discount and minimize a family member’s late diagnosis at age 50. Family is shunning person for their meltdown behavior and other. Dealing with this bullshit is weighing heavily upon me. Anyone here deal w that and if so, do you have any suggestions?

Parents
  • I dont have any ideas other than maybe they need to hve better education on autism. They probably think meltdowns are trying to be dramatic but if they learn more about what autism is, what things are challenging, hopfully they would learn to be more understanding.

They may also be having a hard time comming to terms with your diagnosis. To them, you survived just fine to 50, so they might think that you couldnt have autism, or that its not going to be beneficial in any way and that you are just making excuses for your behaviors

• I dont have any ideas other than maybe they need to hve better education on autism. They probably think meltdowns are trying to be dramatic but if they learn more about what autism is, what things are challenging, hopfully they would learn to be more understanding.

They may also be having a hard time comming to terms with your diagnosis. To them, you survived just fine to 50, so they might think that you couldnt have autism, or that its not going to be beneficial in any way and that you are just making excuses for your behaviors

Children
No Data