How do you spend your life?

1. I'm a late diagnosed autistic woman and I don't know how to spend my life day to day. I don't know what to do or how to start I dont understand how people decide what they're going to do apart from jobs which you have to do. I'm living in a city and grew up in the country, I've had lots of jobs but I'm unemployed right now for the first time since I was about twelve. I have lots of interests but they just don't excite me right now I don't feel anything for them. Most days I wake up and I feel really anxious because I just don't know what to do. I have no plans no obligations and no desire to do the things I used to like. I'm worried that I'm burnt out because that's what that sounds like but I don't know how to make myself feel better. I think if someone instructed me, I can do things for them but I don't have any instructions for myself. Like if my job demands me to go to Greece I can easily do it but if I have a month off nothing will ever happen. Does anyone relate to this? Or know what to do? 
Parents
  • I used to think, for a while,, when I worked and saw no end to it, that I would be happy with more freedom, because then I would be able to do the things that interested me. It would be amazing! 

Then, I was forced to stop everything by injury. Over time, I recovered to an extent and could do things again. I worked very hard to relearn old skills, and that occupied me. I walked every day with my dog, often for hours, and that occupied me. I learned to eat again,, as a new sense of taste emerged from the nothingness my injuries had caused,, and that occupied me. I built structure into my day with routines. 

After more time, I did a short course. I read old poems and literature and wrote an essay or two, and that occupied me. 

Later still, I got involved with a research project and that occupied me.

I think I was reasonably successful at doing all this, without coming to a total stop. Successful for me, that is.

But, nonetheless, for most of the day, every day, I did nothing at all. Hours and hours could pass without me even moving from my chair. 

And whilst that was understandable for a time, in the early stages of recovery, I began to see, eventually, that I had always been the same. I am, unless compelled by routine or interest, inert. Inert, but generally content to be so.

At the time I saw it as a defect, but as my expectation of myself had been changed, couldn't be bothered to care much.

To.cut a long story short, as the saying goes - otherwise you'll all fall asleep- I was eventually persuaded to take a job - one of the several reasons I agreed was so that I would do something! Slight smile

Although I'm looking forward to being inert for a couple of weeks! 

• Beautifully expressed.

Reply Children
No Data