Recent changes to the DWP and other recent news

Looking at some recent stories about the DWP and benefits where they want to look at people’s bank accounts, potentially arresting people for alleged fraud (even if the DWP made a mistake and gave someone an overpayment) along with other recently announced proposed changes that make life more difficult for disabled people, even affecting state pensions, these draconian measures are a concerning move towards dystopia - having not had a post-diagnostic assessment myself following my autism diagnosis in 2021 at age 53 now, I have no idea what my disabled support needs are, including in employment and what employment options are the most suitable, so in the absence of such reports, it will be simply assumed by the DWP that I have no support needs and I will be forced into the next job available, regardless of suitability and without any regard to “reasonable adjustments” in that job role, where if I attempt to request same, even at an early stage, because I will be deemed to have obtained the job on false pretences even if I have declared my autism at the start, I will be very quickly silenced and told to “be quiet and stop your nonsense” by those who simply refuse to understand autism issues - we already know that adult autism support is virtually non-existent for those of us diagnosed later in life and also, in the current cost of living crisis in the U.K., businesses are closing down at an alarming rate, high streets are looking like ghost towns and this is even affecting the bigger chains, who are moving all of their operations online if not going out of business altogether - there needs to be a law requiring that post diagnostic assessments are a legal requirement - there has even been reports suggesting that the DWP itself is failing as they themselves cannot get suitable staff, who are overworked, some of these staff have autism and their reasonable adjustments have been taken away, sickness absence within the DWP is at crisis levels, suggesting that even the benefits system is collapsing 

Parents
  • It is, sadly, just the long-term, devastating nature of Conservative rule. All this government has done since 2010 is provide the wealthy with amazing tax breaks, whilst forcing austerity, wage stagnation, a housing crisis, and many other issues on the nation.

I don't like making things political. And if the Tories were doing a good job that'd be fine.

But it's been catastrophic. This is a government that has treated the disabled as subhuman over the last decade with cuts after cuts. It won't remotely begin to get better until this government is gone.

Starmer's centrist Labour vision isn't the radical overhaul that's essential right now, but anything is a step above this current mess. Where we've got a Home Secretary who called being homeless a "lifestyle choice".

• It is, sadly, just the long-term, devastating nature of Conservative rule

This government is not Conservative, not for some time. It is far-right Nationalist. Not far-right enough for some politicians, however, which is even more concerning.

At the moment, they're busy undermining the freedoms we all take for granted. We have enabled them to do it by leaving the EU, essentially. We will soon discover that the only freedoms taken back are government freedoms to do as it wishes without bar or scrutiny. 

They have their reasons, none of them for the benefit of the general population.

On the plus side, they're not in a strong position and will probably lose the next GE. Let's hope so. 

• they're not in a strong position and will probably lose the next GE.

Not a cat-in-hell's chance they'll get back in.....from what I can see.

• I couldn't possibly broadcast comment beyond the facts of the matter, as I understand them.  

• Not a cat-in-hell's chance they'll get back in.....from what I can see

A comforting thought, Number, Slight smile

Reply Children