Autism related psychosis

I am so confused as my initial dx was actually schizophrenia and even schizoaffective(bipolar)

First psychosis happened almost 14 years ago in 2010. I took meds for 10 years without psychosis. in 2020, I saw a new consultant who suggested I didn't have schizophrenia, but instead had autism. And the emotional Dysregulation was from this. So I went through the process of coming off the antipsychotics. He instead suggested I go on a mood stabiliser with an antidepressant. 

The doctor left after that appointment and because I had side effects from the mood stabiliser, another locum doctor decided it was ok for me to go off them and just stick to an antidepressant. This eventually led me into another psychosis worse than the first one.

Fast forward to 2023 , the first doctor I spoke about has returned and he still thinks I don't have schizophrenia. I just had my last assessment for autism on Wednesday so will wait and see.

But I cannot find any info on autism related psychosis. How is this possible?

I read that brief psychosis lasts only 4 weeks, mine lasted 6 weeks before the medication started working. 

Parents
  • eesh yeah psychosis isnt a trait of autism and is actually what pushes it to schizophrenic spectrum instead.
    also if they took you off anti-psychotics and put you on mood stabilisers instead then they are likely saying it isnt psychosis... but rather they think its a emotional mood thing?

if they do still agree its psychosis then id be worried about their skill level as anti-psychotics should always remain used for psychosis and psychosis does make it more the schizophrenic spectrum.

to me it sounds like they are discarding the idea that it is psychosis and instead saying its a emotional reaction state instead.... in that case they should have first turned to bipolar instead... as bipolar is a emotional one that includes psychosis so with the information i believe that should have been a first to turn to..  given you said their first diagnosis was schizoaffective bipolar i do indeed believe they had it right the first time.... did you then have a change of doctor and they gave you a trainee who then decided to change your diagnosis? if so you need a experienced or the origonal diagnoser to check that persons work as i think these days the nhs do have alot of trainees that they have to put on things and they often can make many mistakes. but if you have emotional problems and psychosis the schizoaffective bipolar covers that.... ofcourse unless theres many other aspects that are too deep and long to mention that they perhaps found in their time which made them rethink and change it, but taking you off anti-psychotics to me makes me think they believe you are not infact psychotic and they perhaps got that wrong? otherwise they wouldnt have taken you off them surely.

• Thanks I have had scans done both times I had the psychosis. I didn't know sz can be detected from these. He definitely acknowledges its psychosis but is trying to say its not sz because I went 10 years without psychosis (although I was on meds so...) Makes me think I may have bouts of depression or bipolar. I definitely have mood swings but I don't feel they are as severe as other people who have bipolar. My partner says I definitely have these swings in my mood, but I struggle to recognise them most the time. I now feel maybe those are ADHD or autism related mood issues and not bipolar because of what he said.

• ah then maybe the scans didnt detect any irregularities then so that maybe why they say its not schizophrenia then.

thats a good thing then as schizophrenia would likely be one of the worst diagnosis to get and live with.

• ah then maybe the scans didnt detect any irregularities then so that maybe why they say its not schizophrenia then.

thats a good thing then as schizophrenia would likely be one of the worst diagnosis to get and live with.

Children
No Data