Advice/Support - I think my adult sister is autistic

HI Everyone, 

Just joined the community and first time posting. I am looking for any advice or support from people who may have had to have a conversation with an adult family member about them being possibly neurodivergent? Anything is welcome as I am piecing this all together. 

I'm 32, my sister is 28. She has always been herself and it isn't unknown among our family or friend circles that she is unique. She's just been fired from her job and I am trying to navigate how to have a converation with her around seeking medical advice/support for a possible neurodivergent diagnosis of some kind. I know on the one hand it may read as harsh that I am looking to raise this after her being fired, but a pattern is emerging somewhat in her employment history and I am trying to help by working out how to break this.

I used to work with a woman who had aspergers and the parallels between her and my sister are notable which has put me on to posting here.

Any advicce is hugely appreciated and happy to provide further info if it would help

Best

RS

Parents
  • I also think one of my family members are autistic. I have an uncle who is high support needs, but I think my other uncle (his brother) could also be on the spectrum. I talked to my mom about it and after hearing my arguments, she agrees. I asked if shed talk to him about looking into it but shes afraid he'll be "angry because its not very positive". That first of all was offensive but I also think it would be a good thing if he looked into it because hes been struggling alot with both university and finding a job, as well as keeping and making friends, I think it could be a releif to finnally know why he is the way he is (I know it was for me), so I just dont understand why you wouldnt tell someone if you think it could help them. 

If I were you id just straight up say it but my mom seems to think thats not a good idea so maybe thats not well liked. 

• I also think one of my family members are autistic. I have an uncle who is high support needs, but I think my other uncle (his brother) could also be on the spectrum. I talked to my mom about it and after hearing my arguments, she agrees. I asked if shed talk to him about looking into it but shes afraid he'll be "angry because its not very positive". That first of all was offensive but I also think it would be a good thing if he looked into it because hes been struggling alot with both university and finding a job, as well as keeping and making friends, I think it could be a releif to finnally know why he is the way he is (I know it was for me), so I just dont understand why you wouldnt tell someone if you think it could help them. 

If I were you id just straight up say it but my mom seems to think thats not a good idea so maybe thats not well liked. 

Children
No Data