Help with explaining telephone problems.

I’ve had problems with using telephones forever, I get anxiety and just struggle with most phone calls. I’m fine with text messages and emails, I still don’t answer them immediately. I understand the difference with being able to plan replies to texts and emails.

My question is a family member just keeps mentioning how I never answer my phone, “why can’t you answer your phone?” It’s something I struggle to explain, I still don’t fully understand.

Is there a really good link or tube video that will explain the reasons why autistic people struggle so much with telephones? It needs to be in very plain language. I’ve tried to explain to the person but normally just shutdown.

Parents Reply

I've taken to communicating with my mother via Messenger, which she hates because she finds verbal communication easier. Since my dad died, she has felt lonely and isolated, so there's also a need to hear a "friendly voice" at the other end of the telephone.

In the past, I have attempted to diplomatically explain to her why I don't like telephone conversations with her, but it's always fallen on deaf ears. However, for the first time in over a year, I logged into my Facebook account this morning and posted a status update, which was mainly for her benefit. Using one of those articles you shared as a guide, I explained in my own words why phone conversations can be so anxiety-inducing. 

Children
  • Using one of those articles you shared as a guide, I explained in my own words why phone conversations can be so anxiety-inducing. 

Great I am glad these articles have helped you explain your own autistic needs! I hope communication with your mother will soon become easier.

I've taken to communicating with my mother via Messenger, which she hates because she finds verbal communication easier. Since my dad died, she has felt lonely and isolated, so there's also a need to hear a "friendly voice" at the other end of the telephone.

I understand that, I suppose it is a matter of finding a compromise that suits both your needs.

• I normally contact my mother by messenger, I sent the first link to her. I’m not confident enough to put it on FB as nobody knows about my autistic life.