Winter and Functioning

If you are posting on this thread please stick to experience or sharing of positive things and please avoid debate which would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am finding my executive functioning is quite low at the moment due to quite a few challenges at the same time and the limited light. A lot of my forms of relaxation require good light for my vision to be good enough. Each week at work ( I do a maximum of 4 days) feels a challenge at the moment, so I try to celebrate a week achieved at a time. 

I try to find positives in nature that is mostly on the decline at this time of year. My positive for this week is the smell of damp leaves.

Does anyone else find this time of year difficult?

I enjoy reading people's funny experiences on here, but they are sadly lacking at the moment. 

Parents
  • I really struggle with the wintery months. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and this hits me low every year and doesn't improve until spring returns and everything brightens up and starts to grow again. Until then I don't feel great and my anxiety is through the roof - I'm usually anxious anyway but it is worse during the winter. My work is on hold as well until after winter.

I wish I could just sleep through winter and wake up again in the spring.

• I always cheer up when I see the first daffodils in the supermarket. I buy two bunches and put them on the dining room table. It’s like the room is in black & white apart from this bright yellow.

I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I see snowdrops and then crocuses. That’s most probably how SAD affects me, I need bright colours to stimulate me, the winter always seems so drab and grey.

• I think I'm the same to be honest - I need to see things alive and growing and that for me is the beginning of my SAD lifting. Winter is such a gloomy and depressing time of year, everything is dark and dying I can't wait for it to end and get back to spring again.

• Exactly how I feel. Roll on spring....

Reply Children
No Data