Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • OK, so I check in on the forum irregularly at the moment and was a bit confused by what was now going on. Come on people, give your heads a wobble.

Ever have there been people protecting the status quo and those fighting for social change.  Without the former we wouldn't have tradition and without the latter none of us would have the right to vote.

Age is no excuse.

What are you doing to help make the world a better place for everyone? 

There are people asking for help not answered, I don't have the answers but some of you do. Let's get back to helping each other.

Thank you.

• OK, so I check in on the forum irregularly at the moment and was a bit confused by what was now going on. Come on people, give your heads a wobble.

Ever have there been people protecting the status quo and those fighting for social change.  Without the former we wouldn't have tradition and without the latter none of us would have the right to vote.

Age is no excuse.

What are you doing to help make the world a better place for everyone? 

There are people asking for help not answered, I don't have the answers but some of you do. Let's get back to helping each other.

Thank you.

Children
  • to be fair voting is a very new rare thing in the world. all through most history no one voted as we all had dictatorships. so there was never a right to vote as there was no voting system.

i dont vote myself now... because i dont believe in the current system of voting for a party.

its not really voting for policy or ideas, your voting for a party to delegate your votes on policy to so they can dictate. basically your voting for a dictator in a elective dictatorship system. 

the only thing id vote on is individual policy, like we did with brexit. but everything needs to be like that. that system would be true democracy. the current one of voting for a party as i said is elective dictatorship.... the party you vote for does every policy change without your say so on the matter and you cant agree with everything a party does, you may vote them in for one  policy you agree on but then all the other 100000 policies they have you may disagree on so you just voted on lots of things you disagree on. thats why the party system is a failure.

• I've voting for this Joe, as my President of the World.