Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • I don't understand why so many people are getting so upset with this post. Yes, It does verge slightly to the offensive side of LGBTQ+ members and some other people's beliefs. Yes, @GPK26 shouldn't have said something including that he is Opposed to same-sex marriage. 

Which would break the forums, to be exact "Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; please be aware that individuals may give opinions which are not shared by other members. Insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated."

You also say you're opposed to same-sex marriage, Would also break this rule "Content must not be graphic, obscene, defamatory or libellous. It must not encourage, promote or glorify any forms of self-harm of self- neglect. Please do not use the forum to identify other individuals, whether in passing or when making complaints. Please use alternative websites or resources if you wish to make a complaint about an individual or third-party service."

I wouldn't say people are being Slanderous within this post, they're simply saying their opinions, about your post which is public: threatening legal re-course wouldn't exactly work in this scenario. We're all anonymous on this forum and you're simply known as "GPK26" for their comments to be "slanderous" as you call it. They would need to slander you off with your personal information I: E your name and other such in a public fashion.

You haven't had a loss of earnings, nor have their comments impacted your personal life and your Public reputation hasn't been damaged.

On the other hand threatening legal action on people causing them emotional stress and other such things, that has impacted their life and made them leave this forum. By emotional manipulation could actually have legal recourse. 

You were brought up in the '70s & 80's which yes was a totally different time. But by your own post, you have even expressed that your opinions on some topics are "taboo" and your family & friends are so somewhat numb to my "outrageousness/inappropriateness.". You know your opinions can be quite controversial yourself as you have even stated it yourself. 

My only advice for anyone reading this is don't even bother commenting on this post until the Community Manager has given his view on this post. It has made some forum members leave which is sad. I joined this forum to ask about how people cope and get advice from fellow ASD suffers.

I wish all the best to everyone in this post.

• technically no one is subject to legal action at all on here either way.

because to take legal action you not only need to know the persons name you also need to know their address so they can receive legal notice.

none of any side here knows names or addresses lol 

• That is true, but if someone was reported to the police for doing something illegal and the police had proof of that. The police can simply request some data from the forums I:E their IP address and other information connecting them to this forum like an email address.

Just because you don't have their name & address doesn't mean they can't do anything, I have personally reported someone online without having any info about them and they did get in contact with the person I reported. A few days later. We live in a digital age, my friend.

• Okay, I’m done with you.

This is a forum designed for people to provide each other with support and you have come here and insulted people then make idiotic threats of legal action when they respond. You are frightening people and making a safe place for them into a place where they feel threatened and undermined.

You are taking away a support network from vulnerable people. Can you not grasp that?

You should be utterly ashamed of yourself. I’m sure your family is.

I won’t respond to or acknowledge you again. Mailing the community manager now.

• Who exactly do you think you are to say "enough".

I have not threatened people on here, instead I have tried to stop (to say ENOUGH) tp the insults that have been directed at ME. Quote me where I have categorically threatened members, I look forward to seeing that.

Exactly what part do you believe that I "don't have a clue what you're talking about"?
    If I really don't have a clue, then please enlighten me. Guide me to your factual sources.

Maybe I should be saying , enough!
    But I respect the right of people to put their point forward, so long as it is not factually flawed (in which case I would try to help them better understand), or worse still where it is verging on defamation of character. 

• GPK, enough. You need to stop poisoning this forum and threatening people.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, you know you are upsetting people and ruining a forum designed for mutual support and yet you continue with infantile and idiotic threats.

Stop. 

• @Callum is exactly correct in terms anonyminity in both of his recent posts above. Hopefully forum members will take heed / learn something that they simply would not believe or claim they have more knowledge or experience in that particular area of technology.

Yes, at the moment nobody knows me from "Jack" (or Jill) - all they know me as is GPK26 which could mean absolutely anything. However, if push came to shove, and legal actions were to be pursued, please be in no way thinking that you cannot be found.

OLIVE BRANCH MOMENT
    It is extremely difficult, maybe even nigh on impossible to remain completely anonymous in IoT age.
    Where there is an incentive and a determined will, you can be found.

With this in mind, I ask / advise all community members to post with considered caution.

There are examples out there where people have assumed that they were anonymous, yet were tracked down and held to account for their online behaviour. 

• @Callum is exactly correct in terms anonyminity in both of his recent posts above. Hopefully forum members will take heed / learn something that they simply would not believe or claim they have more knowledge or experience in that particular area of technology.

Yes, at the moment nobody knows me from "Jack" (or Jill) - all they know me as is GPK26 which could mean absolutely anything. However, if push came to shove, and legal actions were to be pursued, please be in no way thinking that you cannot be found.

OLIVE BRANCH MOMENT
    It is extremely difficult, maybe even nigh on impossible to remain completely anonymous in IoT age.
    Where there is an incentive and a determined will, you can be found.

With this in mind, I ask / advise all community members to post with considered caution.

There are examples out there where people have assumed that they were anonymous, yet were tracked down and held to account for their online behaviour. 

Children
  • Okay, I’m done with you.

This is a forum designed for people to provide each other with support and you have come here and insulted people then make idiotic threats of legal action when they respond. You are frightening people and making a safe place for them into a place where they feel threatened and undermined.

You are taking away a support network from vulnerable people. Can you not grasp that?

You should be utterly ashamed of yourself. I’m sure your family is.

I won’t respond to or acknowledge you again. Mailing the community manager now.

• Who exactly do you think you are to say "enough".

I have not threatened people on here, instead I have tried to stop (to say ENOUGH) tp the insults that have been directed at ME. Quote me where I have categorically threatened members, I look forward to seeing that.

Exactly what part do you believe that I "don't have a clue what you're talking about"?
    If I really don't have a clue, then please enlighten me. Guide me to your factual sources.

Maybe I should be saying , enough!
    But I respect the right of people to put their point forward, so long as it is not factually flawed (in which case I would try to help them better understand), or worse still where it is verging on defamation of character. 

• GPK, enough. You need to stop poisoning this forum and threatening people.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, you know you are upsetting people and ruining a forum designed for mutual support and yet you continue with infantile and idiotic threats.

Stop.