Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • Roy Jenkins Legalised Homosexuality in the 1960's.  Anti racism has a long history going back centuries. Martin Luther King was also assassinated in the 1960's.

So even 60 years ago there were people who opposed homophobic and bigoted views.

These views are not challenged because they are old fashioned. They are challenged because they are wrong.

• You are arguing against the historical evidence.

Great civilisations END in a free for all of ideas and chaotic actions, in  a way that many people see being repeated now.

JUST MY LUCK!! Why couldn't I have been born in a stable and benevolent society at it's nice stable period?

Those who won't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

I KNOW you don't like my perspective about some things (although I believe when you get past hating me for it, you'll start to see how similar we are, and in harmony about other things) and if your new identity finds me just as aggravating, I'll quickly stop providing my perspective to you out of simple courtesy. I'd like us as people who hold fairly strong conflicting opinions to find a way to co-exist on the same forum, and find the points we have in common.

I'm just providing you with an argument on a forum, based on my own perspective & experiences and definitely not hating on anyone. I've learned al lot from some of the more patient posters here about the trials and tribulations that a group of people of which I am not a member have gone through, and as a result have more understanding of them, but nothing I've read or seen makes me want to join them and apparently to some people that constitutes "bigotry". 

Honestly, I read threads like this, and am reminded of Jack Nickolson in "Mars Attacks" spreading his hands and saying "why can't we just get along?" 

Props to you for retaining your identity, shows "a bit of backbone" as us older people used to hear said. Maybe even "character". If I might say, honestly, and with an increased level of respect.

• You are arguing against the historical evidence.

Great civilisations END in a free for all of ideas and chaotic actions, in  a way that many people see being repeated now.

JUST MY LUCK!! Why couldn't I have been born in a stable and benevolent society at it's nice stable period?

Those who won't learn from history are destined to repeat it.

I KNOW you don't like my perspective about some things (although I believe when you get past hating me for it, you'll start to see how similar we are, and in harmony about other things) and if your new identity finds me just as aggravating, I'll quickly stop providing my perspective to you out of simple courtesy. I'd like us as people who hold fairly strong conflicting opinions to find a way to co-exist on the same forum, and find the points we have in common.

I'm just providing you with an argument on a forum, based on my own perspective & experiences and definitely not hating on anyone. I've learned al lot from some of the more patient posters here about the trials and tribulations that a group of people of which I am not a member have gone through, and as a result have more understanding of them, but nothing I've read or seen makes me want to join them and apparently to some people that constitutes "bigotry". 

Honestly, I read threads like this, and am reminded of Jack Nickolson in "Mars Attacks" spreading his hands and saying "why can't we just get along?" 

Props to you for retaining your identity, shows "a bit of backbone" as us older people used to hear said. Maybe even "character". If I might say, honestly, and with an increased level of respect.

Children
  • Checked, and you are right, he did.

In my judgement (FWIW) it still doesn't justify the accusations assumptions and general "Pile on" that anyone who who expresses any cognitive dissonance between their early life training and the world they find themselves living in seems to experience here sometimes.

BUT this particular "bun fight" is being conducted in a much more adult manner than some we've seen, so maybe we ARE making a bit of progress, when it comes to the difficult conversations. Almost gives me hope..

• i believe the OP was the first to mention bigotry.  And i also believe i know the OP's identity.