Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • Most people still have primerally hetrosexual relationships. Most people are cis. And from a logical point of view it still makes sence to take hetrosexualcis norms as a starting asumption. For example it makes a lot of sence to call someone in a dress 'miss' or with a beard 'sir' unless they corect you. It makes more sence to ask a man if he has a girlfriend than a boyfriend. I think there are a lot of people who are tired of being atacked for falling back on the quite reasonable assumptions they grew up with. For 'asuming peoples gender' or sexuality. It's not nessicerally that they mind making exceptions when they meet someone who doesn't fit with those asumptions. More that they object to being atacked for starting from those asumptions, that work quite well 90% of the time.

He doesn't deny the existence of people like me, he just preferred it when we hid it from the world for fear of being murdered in the streets.

I think it's more that  there are a lot of people happy to live and let live they just don't want to have to be a part of it. As long as they can opt out of having to be involved with other peoples non hetronormative behavior / culture they are happy for it to exist. for eaxample lots of people would be really mad if they made the next james bond a rageing homosexual. He's an icol of 20th century hetronormative culture and they want him to stay that way. That doesn't mean they want gay spy films banned or the media to pretend trans / gay people don't exist. They just want to hold on to that hetronormative culture they are used to.

I know a lot of people like this and by and large they are not bad people. They are happy for gay and trans people to live their lives and to do what they want. They just don't acept that they are asked to celerbrate it or embrace the wider culture around it.

Basicly people like this want james bond and bernard manning to be able to co exist along side julien clairy and the L word. They want tolerance. Don't try to ban our comedian for using words the woke don't like and we won't try to ban yours for useing words we don't like, words like 'transphobic' and 'patriarchy.' Is that more or less right GPK26?

• Most people still have primerally hetrosexual relationships. Most people are cis. And from a logical point of view it still makes sence to take hetrosexualcis norms as a starting asumption. For example it makes a lot of sence to call someone in a dress 'miss' or with a beard 'sir' unless they corect you. It makes more sence to ask a man if he has a girlfriend than a boyfriend. I think there are a lot of people who are tired of being atacked for falling back on the quite reasonable assumptions they grew up with. For 'asuming peoples gender' or sexuality. It's not nessicerally that they mind making exceptions when they meet someone who doesn't fit with those asumptions. More that they object to being atacked for starting from those asumptions, that work quite well 90% of the time.

He doesn't deny the existence of people like me, he just preferred it when we hid it from the world for fear of being murdered in the streets.

I think it's more that  there are a lot of people happy to live and let live they just don't want to have to be a part of it. As long as they can opt out of having to be involved with other peoples non hetronormative behavior / culture they are happy for it to exist. for eaxample lots of people would be really mad if they made the next james bond a rageing homosexual. He's an icol of 20th century hetronormative culture and they want him to stay that way. That doesn't mean they want gay spy films banned or the media to pretend trans / gay people don't exist. They just want to hold on to that hetronormative culture they are used to.

I know a lot of people like this and by and large they are not bad people. They are happy for gay and trans people to live their lives and to do what they want. They just don't acept that they are asked to celerbrate it or embrace the wider culture around it.

Basicly people like this want james bond and bernard manning to be able to co exist along side julien clairy and the L word. They want tolerance. Don't try to ban our comedian for using words the woke don't like and we won't try to ban yours for useing words we don't like, words like 'transphobic' and 'patriarchy.' Is that more or less right GPK26?

Children
No Data