Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • yeah people shouldnt be cancelled at all and words shouldnt be sensitive.

people fought and died wars for us to be able to have free speech, cancelling people is like spitting on the graves of ww1 and ww2 veterans.

• but the other stuff though, i dont care what others do. if a person i see as a man identifies as a woman.... i dont really care, they can identify as batman too if they wanted. so long as they dont impose their ideas onto me and demand that i legit see them as batman... i mean if they demand i call them batman i would do but not sincerely, more of a yeah whatever type thing. 

for me its a freedom thing... and theres a line of freedom that you dont step beyond... like i dont care what they think of themselves as, but yet i dont want them demanding me to see them as that thing... they can identify as a boy and im ok with that, but if i see them as a girl they cant really force change that as thats overstepping their bounds into my bounds and being a dictator. everyone can do or think what they want basically... so long as they dont force others to do or think stuff they dont want... so it is a fine line and alot of people might not agree with that line in places. but i draw the line so as to not interfere or impose upon any side.

and yes, if people hate me for that i agree with their freedom to hate me. i draw the line at them trying to effect my life over their hate though. that is applying my idea. hate me or think whatever you want all you want, that is your life, that is your bounds, that is your mind and emotions and feelings. i have no place to impose or interfere. such as they have no right to cancel me, ban me, try effect me and overstep their bounds... there is clear bounds between each others sides. people have to learn to accept they wont agree with others but thats ok because the others ideas are on their bounds, you dont need to force people to agree with you or like you. and they shouldnt attack you in their hate or disagreement of you.

• but the other stuff though, i dont care what others do. if a person i see as a man identifies as a woman.... i dont really care, they can identify as batman too if they wanted. so long as they dont impose their ideas onto me and demand that i legit see them as batman... i mean if they demand i call them batman i would do but not sincerely, more of a yeah whatever type thing. 

for me its a freedom thing... and theres a line of freedom that you dont step beyond... like i dont care what they think of themselves as, but yet i dont want them demanding me to see them as that thing... they can identify as a boy and im ok with that, but if i see them as a girl they cant really force change that as thats overstepping their bounds into my bounds and being a dictator. everyone can do or think what they want basically... so long as they dont force others to do or think stuff they dont want... so it is a fine line and alot of people might not agree with that line in places. but i draw the line so as to not interfere or impose upon any side.

and yes, if people hate me for that i agree with their freedom to hate me. i draw the line at them trying to effect my life over their hate though. that is applying my idea. hate me or think whatever you want all you want, that is your life, that is your bounds, that is your mind and emotions and feelings. i have no place to impose or interfere. such as they have no right to cancel me, ban me, try effect me and overstep their bounds... there is clear bounds between each others sides. people have to learn to accept they wont agree with others but thats ok because the others ideas are on their bounds, you dont need to force people to agree with you or like you. and they shouldnt attack you in their hate or disagreement of you.

Children