Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
    • You were born a boy and died a man
    • Men married women
    • Humour was not censored
    • People weren't "cancelled"

Do you believe that when we were growing up there wasn't homo/bi/sexuality or gender dysphoria/alignment etc?

Homo/bi/sexuality is documented in ancient scripts.

It's simply a part of life - always has been, always will be.

With regard to the humour of the 70s, I'd rather not listen to racist, homophobic and sexist jokes, personally.

I am very glad indeed that this seems to be less acceptable than it once was, at least in some circles.

• Of course it existed back in 70's and as you say back 100's or 1000's of years ago.
    However, back then it was not as I put earlier "a thing", it was there, but ignored or for a better word oppressed.

Did I say that I like to listen to such jokes? No. The point that I was making (which appears to have been completely misunderstood by all but 1 response) is that was the way things were when I was growing up. You know, influenced by as a child. Sorry, but you cannot simply erase history or peoples' life experiences.

We all have different tastes on here and in general life. We should all respect the fact that we have choices and each person's will be different. I respect the majority of responses to my OP, but I may not agree with all of them.

Former Member Why should people stop posting on this thread? Until the mods / site manager decide otherwise, this thread is as legitimate as any others on the forum.

As I advised earlier, I have emailed the site manager requesting that they review the thread and also used the "report" option to report MY original post.

You know that there is the option to simply not click on thread.

• People can (and should) reassess their attitudes over time. My parents were probably raised in vaguely the same time period as you and one of them was raised in a family of massive racists. They didn't just dig in their heels and insist on staying whatever way they were forever though; when they read things or spoke to people they changed and realised that lots of the attitudes we received as young people aren't necessarily a good thing for them to hold close for 80 years.

It's not erasing your history and life experiences to change your view. If anything you're trying to do exactly that by saying "I was raised in the 70s and I refuse to be shaped by anything I've experienced, seen, heard or read in the intervening 40 years". 

• People can (and should) reassess their attitudes over time. My parents were probably raised in vaguely the same time period as you and one of them was raised in a family of massive racists. They didn't just dig in their heels and insist on staying whatever way they were forever though; when they read things or spoke to people they changed and realised that lots of the attitudes we received as young people aren't necessarily a good thing for them to hold close for 80 years.

It's not erasing your history and life experiences to change your view. If anything you're trying to do exactly that by saying "I was raised in the 70s and I refuse to be shaped by anything I've experienced, seen, heard or read in the intervening 40 years". 

Children
No Data