Traditional / Old Fashioned Thinking

As an older person with Autism, I was brought up in very different times with different thinking, values, acceptance, behaviour, etc (1970's & 80's).

The World has changed so much since then - both for better and worse.
There have been so many advancements - particularly in science and this has benefitted us ASD'ers immensely.

One thing that is troubling me is that I hold a lot of "principles" that in this day and age would be considered "Old Fashioned", "Traditional", maybe even "Bigotry" or worse.
There are things that I struggle to understand or accept which are based on my traditional attitude. I was brought up in an era when....

• Boys had girlfriends and girls has boyfriends
  • You were born a boy and died a man
  • Men married women
  • Humour was not censored
  • People weren't "cancelled"

I openly discuss or rant about these topics along with some others that may be considered taboo with closed friends and family who have all become somewhat numb to my outrageousness / inappropriateness.

I have however managed to "behave" in public (stayed on the right side of the law), but occasionally do mutter things with a level of cowardice.
My concern is that now that I am officially autistic, the shackles of having to mask may have been broken and that has the potential of me saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Parents
  • I understand perfectly.

It seems that we have to suffer; due to someone else's bad childhood.

Kids aren't innocent anymore. They're egged on to be antagonistic. It's as if the State wants to Parent them.

I don't mind Gays. At Uni, I befriended a Gay man. However, all this demand for Drag Queens to teach Primary School Kids is gross.

• Don't get me wrong, I don't think that I am homophobic. Likewise, I have had the odd gay friend in the past (no  pun intended by the use of the word "odd").

It's just that it wasn't a "thing" back then. I t has certainly become a thing now which I guess is the choice of the individual. BUT I cannot lie, I think that it has gone TOO FAR in ways such as the Drag Queens that you mention. I am not a fan of the overly extrovert members of the gay community. I am not a fan of Gay Pride marches - I mean, its not like we have a white heterosexual march  - if we did, then there would be uproar.

• They did exist back then, they were a thing you just didn't hear about them due to this thing called oppression which saw many of them brutally attacked and killed I mean why do you think pride marches exist? There isn't a heterosexual white march because it is not needed, white heterosexual people have not historically been oppressed! 

• He doesn't deny the existence of people like me, he just preferred it when we hid it from the world for fear of being murdered in the streets. It was a much nicer time (for those straight white men who hate anything else). 

• Okay so can you please clarify for me what the difference is between "it wasn't a thing" and "they didn't exist" because to me reading it they are same. If you do not believe it was a thing then you believe that LGBQIA+ people didn't exist? Maybe I am misunderstanding something however the original point that I made still stands semantics aside.

• Okay so can you please clarify for me what the difference is between "it wasn't a thing" and "they didn't exist" because to me reading it they are same. If you do not believe it was a thing then you believe that LGBQIA+ people didn't exist? Maybe I am misunderstanding something however the original point that I made still stands semantics aside.

Children
  • He doesn't deny the existence of people like me, he just preferred it when we hid it from the world for fear of being murdered in the streets. It was a much nicer time (for those straight white men who hate anything else).