Asd special interests?

I’ve just read two posts re special interests being a large part of asd diagnostic criteria, I am diagnosed ASD recently as older adult and I don’t collect things or have subjects/ things I’d consider special interest, is there other examples of ‘special interests’ that can be different in some way or other ways to describe it? I know special interests can change over time, I’m very obsessive but not sure what category this comes into under diagnostic criteria and how I relate, any advice/ insight?

Parents Reply Children
  • Ah ok, thanks so much for that Debbie, I’d say growing up I was extremely obsessed with a certain boy band , I had very intense crush on a boy at school for years, I became obsessed with my weight from aged 11- early 20s and excessively exercise and calorie count to the point it ruled my whole life, then it was my boyfriend and I was addicted to my job would work constantly and since being a mum I’d probably say it’s my kids but i thought maybe it had to be objects or subjects not people!