Going to a concert on your own

I went to my first concert in August 2022 - Westlife at Wembley Stadium. A choice for my first concert but I intended to make a day of it in London and meet friends (which didn't go to plan).

I've just come back from my second concert - JLS at the Birmingham Utilita Arena. Very different circumstances from the last one; no friends and my confidence level is as low as it can be. I did wear my sunflower lanyard this time.

I think in both cases the fear of judgement got the better of me. I was able to bob side to side, clap and mouth along to the song but I didn't let myself dance.

Getting caught up in those big crowds when leaving was hard - it's this part I wish I had someone with me for. Also walking through town on my own at night - I can appreciate how scary it can be for women/femme people.

I know I can do it but I think just for my own safety and comfort I'd prefer people with me.

I remember when I was 18, I had to go for this job assessment day thing. I had to wear a suit, make notes about sales, and it was like a 12 hour day. Came home and was pretty upset, insisting that I have someone with me next time I have to go for a job interview or something.

I'm mixed with it. I don't always need company, but I know now the value of it. I'm awkward enough on my own, it's worse when I've got more to think about.

Yeah, just in a reflective mood. I'm glad I did it though, it was nice to have my annual night out (!).

Parents
  • I've never been to a concert on my own, but I did once leave an outdoor concert on my own, which I won't deny I found somewhat stressful due to the sheer volume of people.

Kudos to you though for going to that concert by yourself. Hopefully, your memories of the actual concert will last far longer than any stress you experienced. Relaxed

• Thank you. When two women just screamed randomly in my ear as I was walking out, that bugged me but less so once I heard them do it to someone else (so they weren't just targeting me). 

Reply Children
No Data