Going to a concert on your own

I went to my first concert in August 2022 - Westlife at Wembley Stadium. A choice for my first concert but I intended to make a day of it in London and meet friends (which didn't go to plan).

I've just come back from my second concert - JLS at the Birmingham Utilita Arena. Very different circumstances from the last one; no friends and my confidence level is as low as it can be. I did wear my sunflower lanyard this time.

I think in both cases the fear of judgement got the better of me. I was able to bob side to side, clap and mouth along to the song but I didn't let myself dance.

Getting caught up in those big crowds when leaving was hard - it's this part I wish I had someone with me for. Also walking through town on my own at night - I can appreciate how scary it can be for women/femme people.

I know I can do it but I think just for my own safety and comfort I'd prefer people with me.

I remember when I was 18, I had to go for this job assessment day thing. I had to wear a suit, make notes about sales, and it was like a 12 hour day. Came home and was pretty upset, insisting that I have someone with me next time I have to go for a job interview or something.

I'm mixed with it. I don't always need company, but I know now the value of it. I'm awkward enough on my own, it's worse when I've got more to think about.

Yeah, just in a reflective mood. I'm glad I did it though, it was nice to have my annual night out (!).

Parents
  • Ahh well done for going on your own! Hope for all the scary things you managed to have a really good time. Maybe it will give you the confidence to do some more things on your own? I used to love JLS, not listened to them in a while but imagine it was a really good concert! 

I always find the rush of everyone leaving a lot to deal with and also really begrudge leaving early to miss the crowds as you miss often some of the best songs! I haven’t coped with going to a concert for ages now, but would it work if you just waited somewhere out of the way for everyone else to leave and let all the people wanting to rush go first? 

• Ahh well done for going on your own! Hope for all the scary things you managed to have a really good time. Maybe it will give you the confidence to do some more things on your own? I used to love JLS, not listened to them in a while but imagine it was a really good concert! 

I always find the rush of everyone leaving a lot to deal with and also really begrudge leaving early to miss the crowds as you miss often some of the best songs! I haven’t coped with going to a concert for ages now, but would it work if you just waited somewhere out of the way for everyone else to leave and let all the people wanting to rush go first? 

Children
  • I've already been to the cinema on my own and gone into the city centre on my own and I often feel I want to do more with others (who I enjoy the company of).

I probably could have waited yeah, somewhere I'd have looked not-dodgy!