Possible Autism 9 Year Old & First Period.

I have a 9 year old daughter who is going through the process of being diagnosed as autism. 

Evalyn has always been unique. It's quite a lot to explain but the school mentioned that they feel Evalyn has autism last year. 

We moved house which meant a change of school. Coming from a school with 11 children in the whole school to a big city school which has 27 children in each class. The new school feels the autism was masked with being in a smaller school. 

Anyway the more we research autism the more we are positive Evalyn has this so we are putting in steps now to try and help her. 

Along with this Evalyn has other health issues such as sight problems. This is a deterioration in her eye sight. She was once perfect eyesight in 2020 and now -3.75 in one eye and -4.0 in another eye. Evalyn also now has vacant episodes and the pediatrician thinks she is having childhood mini seizures. 

So with all this going on Evalyn started her period this week and is not coping with it very well. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help her understand this and the steps she has to take. I have told her, I have shown her and I have made lists for her to read but she doesn't seem to have taken it in. She does have issues with following sequences and she struggles emotionally. It's like her brain goes into flight or fight mode. 

I just want to comfort her so badly but she can't even handle a hug of me or anyone. 

How do I comfort her? 

Please help. I just need help to help her. 

• I don’t think it is unusual to be irregular at the start. What pads is she using that are soaking in an hour? Maybe try some bigger or thicker ones? Although I appreciate that you are limited by her small size, sometimes I would wear night pads in the day but they’d probably be too big for her. You could try approaching your GP, may have better luck with a female one, my friend was given tablets because her periods were extremely painful and heavy when they first started. She had to take them while she was on and they were supposed to make her bleed less. Although they may say to ride it out for 2 or 3 more months and see if there is a pattern

• Update. 

That period lasted a week. 

And now she started her period again. 

I don't have periods anymore haven't for 8 years so maybe someone can help me.. 

Her period is so heavy she can only use a pad for an hour to hour and a half before she starts leaking through. 

She's having complete meltdowns to then shutting down and not talking. 

For someone who doesn't feel pain usually (broke collar bone and had teeth taken out and said they didnt hurt) she is complaining of pain. 

Surely this young and second period this isn't normal. Or is it. 

I'm keeping her off school today because she still needs reminding to change her products and she was up 3 times last night changing. 

I wish she didn't have to go through this so young.  

• Apologies my phone changed nearly every word I type!

• Yes I understand migraines are a worry, yes period knickers work very well for my daughter and I and we are both are very heavy and can wear them all day for school- you don’t get the odour you do with the material of a disposable pad but research different absorbencies and brands, also make sure you rinse and soak then, put them on their own on high temp wash then a rinse cycle, and don’t use fab conditioner with them as it’s ruins the absorbing quality, they’re discreet, comfy and decrease adore but I appreciate everyone is different and it can be trial and error but just an option for you to try that’s worked wonders for us, wear all day, no leaks, no smell xxx

• I'm looking into period knickers now. 

With regards to the eyesight. She had perfect eyesight in 2020 then she developed migraines then her right eye turned outwards which made me take her to the optiocians in 2021 and since then she has a multiple decline in eye sight every eye test (3 times a year). Now she passes out (no more migraines). I think its all that has me concerned. 

• Sorry for my ignorance. But how do these period knickers work? Regular changing like you would a pad? 

• You can get period pants in variety of absorbing levels and it’s enough for any little girl to remember let alone to change if you forget/ are uncomfortable or hate asking/ extra attention bathroom visits, they’ve been a game changer for my daughter who was also very early bloomer and I only use them myself as the texture of pads et drives me nuts!

• Could I suggest period knickers, Asda, m&s and sainsburys do girls sizes and there are lots online stores as well, pads and tampons are not good when you have sensory issues xxx with regards eyesight that level of vision isn’t a big concern unless there’s other sight/ eye issues you didn’t mention. With regards the vacant staring- I always did that as a child, all through teens and still do, I unintentionally’zone put’ and I have noticed a pattern that’s it when I’m overstimulated but it’s not a conscious decision and quite common in asd xxx

• Thank you for your reply. Her sister who is 10 started hers in the summer holiday so I sat them both down and had the discussion. Importance of personal hygiene, what to expect ect. Its was so difficult talking to them about it. The elder one got what I was saying but Evalyn didn't quite get what I was saying or seemed like she Wasing grasping it. I figured I had another year until I needed to worry. 

My biggest fear for her is...... her not changing regular enough while at school and having an accident and other kids teasing her about it. So far the kids in her class are good and don't tease her about being different but if that happened i think they would tease her. 

Soooooo many changes for her. 

I made evalyn a period basket with all the essentials, including a hot water bottle, hot chocolate, her favourite fiddling things, sanitary products, a blanket and that book that was suggested. It all went down well. 

Fingers crossed the next time it goes smoother. 

• I wish someone had put me in progestins to stop my periods as soon as they started. Instead I had to figure that out for myself as an adult. I'd rather die than menstruate again, it's something no one should ever have to go through.

• Bless her it’s such a change and at 9 I imagine she hasn’t had much warning about it? I don’t remember being told much if anything until towards the end of year 6. If she is struggling with pads and knowing what to do with them maybe a small size of period knickers might fit her? Primary schools may not have the proper facilities for disposing of the pads or maybe only in a couple of cubicles , at least they didn’t at my school but that was a long time ago! The book Ausomely Autistic mentioned might be good for her to read over and process at her own pace, it was written by an autistic research associate at UCL

• Like everyone else, autistics need to be loved, we may not always either accept it or reciprocate it in conventional ways, but we recognise it. From what you have said it is obvious that you love your daughter, and that is by far the best thing you can do for her.

• So with all this going on Evalyn started her period this week and is not coping with it very well. 

Hi, it seems like you and your daughter are going through a lot at the moment!

I don’t have advice on the other things you have mentioned but I do have advice about periods.

There is a great book entitled ‘The Autism Friendly Guide To Periods’ which may help and reassure your autistic daughter about this.

The Autism-Friendly Guide to Periods https://amzn.eu/d/7SWp43k

I hope this helps and your autistic daughter gets the support she needs for other medical concerns!

• So with all this going on Evalyn started her period this week and is not coping with it very well. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help her understand this and the steps she has to take

Do you just mean reminders to change her pad or is there more?

• I'm not parent to a girl so I don't think I can be much specific help myself, but if I leave this reply here it should bump the thread up the homepage and get it seen by more folk, hopefully one of them will have good advice.