Unnecessary anxiety??

I am one of a few Jews living in a small Norfolk town. I already have strikes against me being an autistic American with no friends who has experienced my car being "keyed", having two tyres let down, damage to recently installed fencing on my driveway. Now with this Israelie war and an apparent widspread refusal in the UK population to condemn the barbaric attack by Hamas as reported on our News media --- am I being unnecessarily anxious?

Parents
  • I think that anxiety generally speaking, is dependent on a person not finding the necessary aspects of a solution, despite their every intention of knowing how to aim themselves.. otherwise it would be concern..Thinking

• I am not in control of  others perceptions of me. I try to make a good first impression  but if I am viewed  with predudice there are only two options---as I see it.:

1. walk away and ignore it

2. argue the point  which from my experience is a waste of time attempting to change an ingrained attitude. 

The news media has reported a %300 increase in antisemitism. I think your semantics  on my word choice is unjustified. 

• if I am viewed  with predudice there are only two options---as I see it.:

2. argue the point 

2 points to discuss here:

1 - When you sat you are viewed with prejudice, do you just mean when people are rude / aggressive towards you personally or are are they using one of the dictionary decinitions of having "Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular social group" ?

If it is the latter, have they stated their animosity to your socal group or are you assuming this?

2 - There are more than two options on how to react. You only list "fight or flight" responses - these are extremes so I would advocate trying something in between if you are brave enough. You don't have to argue - you can ask why they are responding the way they are, ask them to stop or just say "look, lets start over - let me introduce myself..."

Having this sort of binary response is only making things worse and it is likely to only escalate as your neighbours will see you as either a coward or an antagonist.

Unless they are insulting your religion then antisemitism isn't the cause.

• if I am viewed  with predudice there are only two options---as I see it.:

2. argue the point 

2 points to discuss here:

1 - When you sat you are viewed with prejudice, do you just mean when people are rude / aggressive towards you personally or are are they using one of the dictionary decinitions of having "Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular social group" ?

If it is the latter, have they stated their animosity to your socal group or are you assuming this?

2 - There are more than two options on how to react. You only list "fight or flight" responses - these are extremes so I would advocate trying something in between if you are brave enough. You don't have to argue - you can ask why they are responding the way they are, ask them to stop or just say "look, lets start over - let me introduce myself..."

Having this sort of binary response is only making things worse and it is likely to only escalate as your neighbours will see you as either a coward or an antagonist.

Unless they are insulting your religion then antisemitism isn't the cause.

Children
  • Never having lived a life as a minority you will never ever grasp or understand the "vibes" associated with attitudes that are received

As a very white skinned Scotsman living in Brazil I do know what it is to be in a minority, and I do get plenty of stereotyping and bias based around this.

I do however call people out on it where I see prejudice and ask them to explain themselves - this typically results in them getting flustered, apologising or making a fast getaway while losing face to their friends.

Only once did it escalate to violence but a well timed Glasgow Kiss dealt with that incident and earned me respect in that bar. It is not a route I have any joy in persuing but I won't let myself be messed around with if I can possibly do something about it.

I'm just too tired and old to be interested in changing the world or attutudes, but am still entitled to the kind of respect accorded to everyone that I diplay.

I'm a believer that respect has to be earned. Common decency is rarity in modern scociety with it becoming much more self centered so we have to go the extra mile if we are to command respect. It sucks but there is nothing we can do to change society, only those we have some contact or influence over.

I get what you mean about being tired, but the moment you grow tired of life you start to get old - fast.

• Never having lived a life as a minority you will never ever grasp or understand the "vibes" associated with attitudes that are received  from those who are part of a majority group. Bravado has nothing to do with it.  Based on my experiences of life attitudes are difficult to change. Your pragmatic approach as an autie is understandable. My "binary" response ---as you call it --- is probabley based on my own autistic gut feelings accumulated over my lifetime and are very personal to me. Your analysis to conclude the views of my neighbours of me, may or may not be true. I am part of three minorities and I do not propose that each and every negative interreaction is an antisemetic one. I speak with a heavy Brooklyn accent and can judge immediately if it is off putting, or if it is my spoken communication weaknesses as an autie.  In short, perhaps I am taking the cowards way out --- I'm just too tired and old to be interested in changing the world or attutudes, but am still entitled to the kind of respect accorded to everyone that I diplay.

Thanks for your input.