Unnecessary anxiety??

I am one of a few Jews living in a small Norfolk town. I already have strikes against me being an autistic American with no friends who has experienced my car being "keyed", having two tyres let down, damage to recently installed fencing on my driveway. Now with this Israelie war and an apparent widspread refusal in the UK population to condemn the barbaric attack by Hamas as reported on our News media --- am I being unnecessarily anxious?

Parents
  • It depends.

Why do you assume it's Anti-Semitism? Lots of people get bullied/harangued/harassed and get their property vandalised and the reasons can be unclear unless they actually voiced something. There doesn't even need to be a reason sometimes - people can just be 'inside-out' and looking for a target. Have they actually said anything about Judaism to you? Are you on a local authority estate?

Not sure where you're getting the idea that UK pop' would ever condone any of what's happened?? The whole thing is horrific. 

• If I was a black *** man before all this woke nonsense infiltrated this society --- would your reply still be the same? [edited by moderator]

• If I was a black negro man before all this woke nonsense infiltrated this society

Has it crossed your mind that these sorts of opinions, verbalised here without heed of whether others see things the same, could be alienating you from people?

• There is no "bone of contention" with any of my neighbours. I have neither said or done anything to warrent such action to be taken.

If they consider you to be something undesirable (as I hypothesised they may consider you a dodgy pedo on the run from US justice or some other rubbish) then they may see this as justification enough to make your life miserable,

Maybe they are just a-holes and this is what the do for fun. Who knows.

The point is that it will probably continue until you get to know them and let them see you are a decent bloke after all. You shouldn't have to do this, but it seems the best way out of the current situation.

On a purely practical note I would also look to setup some CCTV to monitor your car and catch whatever scumbag is keying it and report them to the police for criminal damage.

• I get what your saying. I will try to be more precise in my choice of wording.

For me " the lens of 'my' morals, experiences and judgements" has determined new keyed marks on my car.  There is no "bone of contention" with any of my neighbours. I have neither said or done anything to warrent such action to be taken.

• Perhaps that is why I haven't found my place in it---it's not my world. I see things pragmatically for what they truly are

I found that it helps to realise that we can never see things for what they truly are - we can only interprit them through the lens of out morals, experiences and knowledge.

It helps to use terminology like "I think", "I believe" and "in my opinion" when discussing something other than hard fact (eg a location, a date and to a degree the numbers quoted for things - but quoting sources).

We often hear news reported from one side or the other of an event (think of casualties in the Russia-Ukraine conflict) and then we hear from a third party (eg Red Cross) - the numbers never tally up so any "truth" is often subject to bias.

Even history is written by the victors and is often up for regular re-writing. Look at the history of the colonisation of the USA and how the natives part in that story was lied about, atrocities by the US Army covered up and the story taken as truth until relatively recently when advocates for native American rights started digging out old official records rather than the history books.

I'm certain the middle east conflict is rife with this as well and with the length of it, it seems inevitable that there is little hard facts to be gleaned from the bones of that history that help establish the truth of events.

Even in everyday life your perspective on what your neighbours is doing to you is probably quite different to theirs - they may see you as the freaky old American with lots of strange habits that must be some sex offender running away from justice back home - or whatever story they think up as plausable.

That may be their reality and the fact it has no basis in reality doesn't matter to them - it is a narrative that fits so must be true. It isn't fair, but it is the sort of world we live in

Short of dispelling the myth by actually getting to know them  I don't know of any way to overcome whatever bone of contention exists.

• Perhaps that is why I haven't found my place in it---it's not my world. I see things pragmatically for what they truly are and not according to what politically biased groups imposses. 

• A rose is still a rose by any other name. You are what youe are

That is a dangerous statement to make in this day and age.

If I were to say I had changed and identified as a woman then your statement would be denying my ability to do this. It would most likely lead to you being seen as perpetrating hate crimes (just see what happened to JK Rowling).

I don't want to discuss the merit of these decisions or the rights involved, but point out that we live in a highly fluid society now and to deny anyone the right to be what they want to be is likely to lead to a backlash against you.

The world now is quite different to the one you grew up in.

• A rose is still a rose by any other name. You are what youe are.

• I've lived and worked all over England through many years, and now reside in Norfolk. Admittedly it's not the most culturally advanced place I've spent time in, but it must be 40 plus years since I heard the term 'Negro' used openly in public speech. Perhaps you reap what you sow.

• I promise not to be offended if you call me a Caucasian white man

• What you feel okay being called is your business. Do you think it's "wokeness" to think that only Jewish people can decide whether a term is offensive to them, or would you be cool to be referred to by any number of the many  ugly words used to denigrate Jewish people in the past?

It's not just recently that the two N words became unacceptable. Like literally never in my life has that word been okay for a white person to say (outside of a very specific baseball context). 

• What you feel okay being called is your business. Do you think it's "wokeness" to think that only Jewish people can decide whether a term is offensive to them, or would you be cool to be referred to by any number of the many  ugly words used to denigrate Jewish people in the past?

It's not just recently that the two N words became unacceptable. Like literally never in my life has that word been okay for a white person to say (outside of a very specific baseball context). 

Children