Job Resignation

Morning all,

I am about to leave my job to become a full time carer for my 2 (soon to be 3) kids. My wife already does this and claims the relevant benefits so it's just a case of signing me up for carers allowance too.

On to my question! I've only had one job before this one, and handed my written notice to the manager in person (retail shop) and it wasn't very fun. Currently in an office job, my manager is the other end of the room in his own office. Can I just email my resignation? I know it will then prompt a chat but I think I would rather that then instigate it myself and do it verbally.

I've gone over the scenario as many times as I can and asked my wife countless times about the process. Any advice welcome on this and how to survive the month long notice period of them going into chaos. (It's a small team)

Parents
  • Hi- it usually says in your contract what the appropriate way is to give notice (often it has to be in writing) and if there is a notice period. I think in general it is good to do resignations in writing just to have evidence, but that doesn’t mean you can’t talk to your manager first. When I resigned recently, i spoke to my manager explaining the situation and that I was leaving, and then I sent an email to HR with my manager in copy to formalise the resignation, where essentially I also said that I had discussed it with my manager and he was in agreement. You can then also put a date. In terms of whether you speak to your manager first it is up to you- do you have a good relationship with them? If yes maybe you might want to tell them in person first? Or if not comfortable with that that’s ok. But I would check your contract for any instructions on resignations and would make sure it is in writing too . Hope that helps.

• Hi- it usually says in your contract what the appropriate way is to give notice (often it has to be in writing) and if there is a notice period. I think in general it is good to do resignations in writing just to have evidence, but that doesn’t mean you can’t talk to your manager first. When I resigned recently, i spoke to my manager explaining the situation and that I was leaving, and then I sent an email to HR with my manager in copy to formalise the resignation, where essentially I also said that I had discussed it with my manager and he was in agreement. You can then also put a date. In terms of whether you speak to your manager first it is up to you- do you have a good relationship with them? If yes maybe you might want to tell them in person first? Or if not comfortable with that that’s ok. But I would check your contract for any instructions on resignations and would make sure it is in writing too . Hope that helps.

Children
No Data