Seeking Advice; Sensory Feedback, Stimming etc.

I've recently been diagnosed with both Autism and ADHD Sparkles and therefore trying to research ways in which Adults (I'm almost 30) living with Autism and/or ADHD can achieving sensory feedback. Including various stimming techniques that work for Adults.

From what I've read, most websites seem to target audiences for children or level 3 Autism and next to nothing for Adults who are classed as level 1-2.Thumbsdown tone1

I tend to enjoy "smooshing" my plushie up and down on a surface as it makes a comforting sound when I shake the plushie bean bag beans up and down, including the feeling of hand-to-surface engagement. I'm always fidgeting, picking thumbs or intermittently thumping surfaces with my palms for feedback. I've noticed that I can throw items to the floor within arms reach as a reaction to PDA (pathological demand avoidance).

I also struggle with Alexithymia, and therefore do not understand my emotions as well as find it difficult expressing how I feel to others. So I really have no idea what I need to do to help myself Sweat

I would love to hear about what ideas and practices work for you, or somebody you may know as I'm really struggling here! 

Thanks! Hugging

Parents
  • I really have no idea what I need to do to help myself

It is difficult to help yourself get in touch with your emotions when you have little idea what they feel like (at a concious level) so your best bet would be to work with a therapist who has experience in this field.

I did this starting with the emotions wheel and working onto more concious connection techniques. 2 years on it is still a work in progress but more emotions are much more accessible now and recognising others has become easier.

For the stimming part I tend to just twiddle my thumbs so stimming isn't a big thing for me.

Stimming is typically used as a self soothing technique to relieve anxiety so it is most effective to understand and control the anxiety. The following book is a good guide for this:

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

If you are a reader then the following is also good for understanding Alexithymia

Emotionally Dumb, An Overview of Alexithymia - Jason Thompson (2009)
    ISBN 9780646512518

• Absolutely, it's so difficult and frustrating I feel I also need to find a way to prevent the outbursts from projecting. My psychologist said that I definitely mask too, so it's a fight against whether to let my mind be free or whether to stimulate or regulate the emotions so they don't "jump out" Sparkles

Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly take a look Book

• Absolutely, it's so difficult and frustrating I feel I also need to find a way to prevent the outbursts from projecting. My psychologist said that I definitely mask too, so it's a fight against whether to let my mind be free or whether to stimulate or regulate the emotions so they don't "jump out" Sparkles

Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly take a look Book

Children
  • it's a fight against whether to let my mind be free or whether to stimulate or regulate the emotions so they don't "jump out"

If you can reduce your anxiety then the drive to stim should also reduce. This would let you unmask and appear less odd.

With the emotional regulation, you will hopefully find that understanding the emotions - being able to label them, work out what and why your are feeling them will make you feel more in control of them without having to shut everything down.

I would definately start with understanding the the emotions with the help of the emotions wheel and book, then work with your therapist on interpriting these - working out what they mean to you. With this context and knowledge you are going to be in a much better place to deal with them.

Good luck on the journey ahead.