Seeking Advice; Sensory Feedback, Stimming etc.

I've recently been diagnosed with both Autism and ADHD Sparkles and therefore trying to research ways in which Adults (I'm almost 30) living with Autism and/or ADHD can achieving sensory feedback. Including various stimming techniques that work for Adults.

From what I've read, most websites seem to target audiences for children or level 3 Autism and next to nothing for Adults who are classed as level 1-2.Thumbsdown tone1

I tend to enjoy "smooshing" my plushie up and down on a surface as it makes a comforting sound when I shake the plushie bean bag beans up and down, including the feeling of hand-to-surface engagement. I'm always fidgeting, picking thumbs or intermittently thumping surfaces with my palms for feedback. I've noticed that I can throw items to the floor within arms reach as a reaction to PDA (pathological demand avoidance).

I also struggle with Alexithymia, and therefore do not understand my emotions as well as find it difficult expressing how I feel to others. So I really have no idea what I need to do to help myself Sweat

I would love to hear about what ideas and practices work for you, or somebody you may know as I'm really struggling here! 

Thanks! Hugging

Parents
  • I really have no idea what I need to do to help myself

It is difficult to help yourself get in touch with your emotions when you have little idea what they feel like (at a concious level) so your best bet would be to work with a therapist who has experience in this field.

I did this starting with the emotions wheel and working onto more concious connection techniques. 2 years on it is still a work in progress but more emotions are much more accessible now and recognising others has become easier.

For the stimming part I tend to just twiddle my thumbs so stimming isn't a big thing for me.

Stimming is typically used as a self soothing technique to relieve anxiety so it is most effective to understand and control the anxiety. The following book is a good guide for this:

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

If you are a reader then the following is also good for understanding Alexithymia

Emotionally Dumb, An Overview of Alexithymia - Jason Thompson (2009)
    ISBN 9780646512518

• I really have no idea what I need to do to help myself

It is difficult to help yourself get in touch with your emotions when you have little idea what they feel like (at a concious level) so your best bet would be to work with a therapist who has experience in this field.

I did this starting with the emotions wheel and working onto more concious connection techniques. 2 years on it is still a work in progress but more emotions are much more accessible now and recognising others has become easier.

For the stimming part I tend to just twiddle my thumbs so stimming isn't a big thing for me.

Stimming is typically used as a self soothing technique to relieve anxiety so it is most effective to understand and control the anxiety. The following book is a good guide for this:

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

If you are a reader then the following is also good for understanding Alexithymia

Emotionally Dumb, An Overview of Alexithymia - Jason Thompson (2009)
    ISBN 9780646512518

Children
  • Absolutely, it's so difficult and frustrating I feel I also need to find a way to prevent the outbursts from projecting. My psychologist said that I definitely mask too, so it's a fight against whether to let my mind be free or whether to stimulate or regulate the emotions so they don't "jump out" Sparkles

Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly take a look Book