Hey NAS we are different not disabled

All her life my daughter has fought the stigma that being Autistic was defined as, first a "learning disabilty" and now a "disability". It has destroyed her life, made her feel inferior and sapped her self  confidence. Then to see the BBC describe autism as a "lifelong disability" made me furious. Then to find that the source of this bigotry is the definition on the NAS website makes me incandescent with rage. I too am Autistic. The NAS does not represent me or my daughter. The challenges which Autistic poeple face are not what we are but how we are misunderstood. For the NAS to insist on perpetuating these myths makes you part of the problem. I can only presume your definition of Autism was written and approved by a bunch of, perhaps well-meaning, poeple who suffer from Autism Deficiency Syndrome and who lack the flexibility of thought that Autism gives us and we, in turn, have given the world the technology which I am using to write this.

Parents
  • Being classed as disabled gives an autistic person important and fundamental rights under disability discrimination laws, such as the Equality Act 2010. They are essential in order for us to be able to function in a world that is not designed for us. For example reasonable adjustments which are necessary in order to be able to function in the workplace.

A definition of disability (from Wikipedia):

"Disability is the experience of any condition that makes it more difficult for a person to do certain activities or have equitable access within a given society."

The challenges that autistic people face mean that we certainly find some things more difficult and can be discriminated against at every stage in life. It is lifelong. So many people wrongly believe that autism is something that only affects children. I even had a GP say that once Unamused

I'm all for the social model of autism, as opposed to the pathological one, but I'm not convinced that different is any less stigmatizing than disabled. Until the social model gains enough traction we need that protection against discrimination.

I hope that in the future being neurodivergent will become a specific protected characteristic under discrimination laws. Maybe that's the kind of thing NAS could be campaigning for. In the meantime we have to make the best of what exists now. 

• I always find your contributions so well thought out, erudite, insightful and helpful.

You tend to forumulate into concise text the nebulous thoughts in my head and then add some extra.

Thank you.

• Thank you. 

It's good to see you've been released from the NAS spammers jail Wink

I'm in a state of post meltdown exhaustion today and wasn't really expecting to be able to post anything much at all. I certainly wouldn't be able to communicate any of that verbally. 

• That's terrible I'm so sorry people have treated you like that.

People spend too much time judging rather than understanding us.

And thank you your so kind :) 

• I've had it before where people call me rude because I can't talk properly and look at my feet

It's sad that people make all kinds of incorrect assumptions. I've had people accuse me of not making an effort and even been accused of sulking Slight frown

I'm just really stupid

That's definitely not true!

• I find it hard with voice communication I really struggle with talking to people.

It's sad there's not a lot of understanding and support I've had it before where people call me rude because I can't talk properly and look at my feet.

You explain yourself really well ^^ as always!

I'm just really stupid but I bet everyone else understands your points.

Keep being awesome :–) 

• Thank you.

I think the point I was aiming to make (but did not do so) is an example of a situation where my ability to speak may fail me but I can still communicate to some extent in other ways. Having unreliable speech in a society that uses that as a main form of communication certainly feels like a disability.

In such a situation I do not only need understanding from other people, an employer for instance. Sure they may understand and not expect me to speak in a meeting. However that still means I am effectively excluded and no longer have equitable access to be able to contribute.

Understanding on it's own is insufficient. I would also need a reasonable adjustment, by way of an alternative means of communication to enable me to participate fully.

• Please take care of yourself and rest when needed :) 

I hope your be feeling lots better soon.

Reply Children
  • That's terrible I'm so sorry people have treated you like that.

People spend too much time judging rather than understanding us.

And thank you your so kind :) 

• I've had it before where people call me rude because I can't talk properly and look at my feet

It's sad that people make all kinds of incorrect assumptions. I've had people accuse me of not making an effort and even been accused of sulking Slight frown

I'm just really stupid

That's definitely not true!

• I find it hard with voice communication I really struggle with talking to people.

It's sad there's not a lot of understanding and support I've had it before where people call me rude because I can't talk properly and look at my feet.

You explain yourself really well ^^ as always!

I'm just really stupid but I bet everyone else understands your points.

Keep being awesome :–) 

• Thank you.

I think the point I was aiming to make (but did not do so) is an example of a situation where my ability to speak may fail me but I can still communicate to some extent in other ways. Having unreliable speech in a society that uses that as a main form of communication certainly feels like a disability.

In such a situation I do not only need understanding from other people, an employer for instance. Sure they may understand and not expect me to speak in a meeting. However that still means I am effectively excluded and no longer have equitable access to be able to contribute.

Understanding on it's own is insufficient. I would also need a reasonable adjustment, by way of an alternative means of communication to enable me to participate fully.