Are all adult assessments so stressful?

Gone

Parents
  • Please be aware that I have some blunt comments below - they are not intended to attack you but are my understanding of the situation based on what you wrote.

I am not a child and don't enjoy feeling humiliated.

That illustrates that you didn't understand the test properly. These are required actions to see how you process some essential elements of your brain.

You may think they are childish but to refuse to do it means you are preventing the analyst from observing your behaviour. It is not to humiliate you but the fact you feel humiliated reflects more on some issues you have which probably need some therapy time.

Eventually I lost it and snapped after she said I’d taken a comment the wrong way; at this point I just wanted out. Was this intentional on her part I wonder?

From your behaviour so far I think it is you who was looking to get out. You have only exhibited negativity around the meeting and its outcome which may represent a denial or resentment of it.

This does not preclude a duff evaluator of course - they are only human and hence prone to bias and failure as are we all.

And who in hell decided that phone calls and virtual appointments for autistic assessments and follow ups was a good idea? When you have trouble picking up the phone, and find video calling stressful, how can you represent yourself when you’re trying hard just to keep up and make sense of the conversation?

These are perfect for the large number of autists who have major issues of going out or being in the company of others. It also saves time for everyone involved and the costs of transport to get to the sessions.

If you have major issues with the comminication then you should insist on a face to face meeting. I'm sure they can arrange it although you may have a long trip of they are in a different town.

• Keep waving your blue and yellow flag, and don't forget to sign up for your booster on the way out.

I was as factual as possible in my reply and based my responses on your statements.

I could have added a few more pleasantries but you seem to get to the point and speak your mind so I responded in a way that I thought you were engaging in.

What have the Ukrane war and boosters (vaccinations?) got to do with anything?

If you just wanted someone to agree with what you said and lend a sympathetic ear then you shoud have said.

Enjoy your drinks.

• I've requested deletion of my account. You might want to reconsider rule 5 before you reply to any more posts. 

• I choose not to take part in something less than fit for adult patients and is recognised as such. 

Yet all other patients take the same test on the way to their diagnoses (more or less).

Many autists continue to exhibit childlike behaviour as adults which is why this test is retained. To tell the psych that their methods are rubbish is an interesting approach when they are the ones with all the experience and knowledge on the subject.

I understand you are also against the use of virtual appointments but when this is the only way a large portion of autists can handle such tests then it seems the most effective way to do it. I pointed out that you could have requested a face to face meeting instead if you cannot deal with the virtual version.

Please remember Community rule 5 "Be nice to one another"

https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

I warned you my response was blunt but I didn't insult you but gave a reasoned response which seems to trigger the same aversion to authority that you displayed in the assessment.

If you took insult then I apologise.

• I choose not to take part in something less than fit for adult patients and is recognised as such. 

Yet all other patients take the same test on the way to their diagnoses (more or less).

Many autists continue to exhibit childlike behaviour as adults which is why this test is retained. To tell the psych that their methods are rubbish is an interesting approach when they are the ones with all the experience and knowledge on the subject.

I understand you are also against the use of virtual appointments but when this is the only way a large portion of autists can handle such tests then it seems the most effective way to do it. I pointed out that you could have requested a face to face meeting instead if you cannot deal with the virtual version.

Please remember Community rule 5 "Be nice to one another"

https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

I warned you my response was blunt but I didn't insult you but gave a reasoned response which seems to trigger the same aversion to authority that you displayed in the assessment.

If you took insult then I apologise.

Children