Life changes since diagnosis/self-realisation/identification

This question was inspired by Out of Step.

Since your diagnosis of autism, or your realisation and self identification of autism, have you changed and how?

Also, have others changed in their atttitude to you?

Also, have you made any changes to your life that benefit you?

Has it changed your thought processes/attitude to others/past life experiences etc etc?

Parents
  • I don't know if I've changed much since being diagnosed. I probably have but I don't always register change and understand it when it occurs, actually it's more usual that someone tells me I've changed and that's when it registers otherwise it passes by undetected by me.

Yes especially within my own family.

My parents have a bad attitude towards me, most people do and my parents always have. They see autism as a weakness and then feel they can use me because I'm unintelligent, quite the opposite actually but that's the way a lot of people see it. Including my parents. They constantly make comments about it and me.

I've made myself more withdrawn from people. It works for me, less anxiety and eventually my loneliness subsided as well. I'm more of a solitary individual now.

Has it changed your thought processes/attitude to others/past life experiences etc etc?

Yes.

My thoughts are much different now than they were before I was diagnosed. I see things as a lot more pointless now, but a few years ago I used to see point in doing things but now I sort of feel it's a waste of my time and life, I gain nothing from doing it. So why bother?

That's how my thoughts are now but before my diagnosis I was a lot more positive and enjoyed doing things.

According to my family this is negative and makes me "cold" but I see it as a positive. 

• I don't know if I've changed much since being diagnosed. I probably have but I don't always register change and understand it when it occurs, actually it's more usual that someone tells me I've changed and that's when it registers otherwise it passes by undetected by me.

Yes especially within my own family.

My parents have a bad attitude towards me, most people do and my parents always have. They see autism as a weakness and then feel they can use me because I'm unintelligent, quite the opposite actually but that's the way a lot of people see it. Including my parents. They constantly make comments about it and me.

I've made myself more withdrawn from people. It works for me, less anxiety and eventually my loneliness subsided as well. I'm more of a solitary individual now.

Yes.

My thoughts are much different now than they were before I was diagnosed. I see things as a lot more pointless now, but a few years ago I used to see point in doing things but now I sort of feel it's a waste of my time and life, I gain nothing from doing it. So why bother?

That's how my thoughts are now but before my diagnosis I was a lot more positive and enjoyed doing things.

According to my family this is negative and makes me "cold" but I see it as a positive. 

Children
No Data