Shades of Grey

Since joining this Community last year, I have seen many a mention of 'seeing things in black and white' and 'black and white thinking'. 

I would like to be corrected if I am wrong, but my understanding of this is that it means a person will perceive something to be either this or that, but cannot possibly be both things at the same time. For example, that a person may believe one can feel sadness or happiness, but not both things at the same time.

Have I got this right?

I ask because I have always thought I had the ability to see the shades of grey. Admittedly, not all the time, but certainly sometimes. However, now I find myself wondering if I know myself as well as I thought I did.

If my understanding of what seeing things in black and white means is wrong, I would be grateful if it could be explained to me in simple terms.

Parents
  • I'm not sure to be honest.

For me personally I don't really see things in black and white I just see things I guess as they are? Does that make sense?

My brain is overanalyzing all the time and I just see things I think how they are. It's a bit strange really but whenever people mention seeing things black and white I can never relate.

Oh also lol I saw the title and thought you were referring to a new Shades of Grey book XD

• I'm not sure to be honest.

For me personally I don't really see things in black and white I just see things I guess as they are? Does that make sense?

My brain is overanalyzing all the time and I just see things I think how they are. It's a bit strange really but whenever people mention seeing things black and white I can never relate.

Oh also lol I saw the title and thought you were referring to a new Shades of Grey book XD

Children