Struggled Tonight.

Have had our house on the market for exactly one year, the bank interest rate started to go higher and prices have altered very quickly, had an actual second viewing this evening, we have reduced the price 3 times now. I haven’t really slept since being told about the second viewing on Saturday. The people just wore me out, an hour of questions and tape measures. I was very monotone, in the end I just said sorry,  I’ve run out of words. My wife took over and told me I had done really well, my brain is now wizzing and can’t slow down. Sorry just venting.

Parents
  • It is tough selling in this market - I had a flat that I put on the market last July and ended up having to drop it 30% from the price the agent promised it would "fly off the shelf for" to actually get a buyer. I still made a decent profit on it so I was OK given the market forcast.

I think getting the right price point is important - what you think it is worth rarely lines up with what people are willing to pay so you may need to look at the trend in prices from land registry and be realistic with what you are asing.

The sale process is a ballache though - I had my flat in showroom condition for months while living there and had people through most days (it was well priced but quite small and not on a good street) so it was tiring having to wash up dishes straight away whenever we ate something and couldn't leave anything lying around in case we got a drop in visit.

It took 2 months in the end plus another 6 weeks of waiting for the sale to go through then I shipped the contents off to storage and moved to Brazil - a nice reward for all the work I put into the renovation and the waiting game of the sale.

Do you have a reward planned for when you do finally sell?

• It is tough selling in this market - I had a flat that I put on the market last July and ended up having to drop it 30% from the price the agent promised it would "fly off the shelf for" to actually get a buyer. I still made a decent profit on it so I was OK given the market forcast.

I think getting the right price point is important - what you think it is worth rarely lines up with what people are willing to pay so you may need to look at the trend in prices from land registry and be realistic with what you are asing.

The sale process is a ballache though - I had my flat in showroom condition for months while living there and had people through most days (it was well priced but quite small and not on a good street) so it was tiring having to wash up dishes straight away whenever we ate something and couldn't leave anything lying around in case we got a drop in visit.

It took 2 months in the end plus another 6 weeks of waiting for the sale to go through then I shipped the contents off to storage and moved to Brazil - a nice reward for all the work I put into the renovation and the waiting game of the sale.

Do you have a reward planned for when you do finally sell?

Children
  • Thanks for your reply, the reward is finally moving to Cornwall and having a house with a holiday let designed for autistic people and my car workshop onsite. Keeping our house in showroom condition has been easy for me but I don’t live alone!