Family unable to accept autism diagnosis

I'm not really sure how to explain this except using the title of some sort of indicator.

I was formally diagnosed with Autism in June this year but since then, my parent's have refused to accept the fact that I'm autistic and even simple accommodations such as reducing sounds when able too or providing a safe space or learning triggers etc are refused or dismissed and not acknowledged by either of them. My dad works away and comes home during the week and my mum works in the town where I live but neither I have found are interested in the slightest with the home environment becoming more difficult to navigate.

I find the only respite that I get is during the day when everyone is at work and I'm on my own.

Alongside the autism, I'm also diagnosed with general anxiety, social anxiety, depression and an eating disorder.

Has anyone else experienced this at all?

Parents
  • LOL, my paranoid schizophrenic father did exactly the same. He also kept me from learning about my Aspergers diagnosis that I received when I was a child. I highly suspect he was on the spectrum too, there is significant overlap between ASD and schizophrenia. 

I suggest you to move out. Some people, especially older people, are quite set in their ways and will just ignore any new input. You will begin to heal and to improve when you will be master of your own environment.

• LOL, my paranoid schizophrenic father did exactly the same. He also kept me from learning about my Aspergers diagnosis that I received when I was a child. I highly suspect he was on the spectrum too, there is significant overlap between ASD and schizophrenia. 

I suggest you to move out. Some people, especially older people, are quite set in their ways and will just ignore any new input. You will begin to heal and to improve when you will be master of your own environment.

Children
No Data