Family unable to accept autism diagnosis

I'm not really sure how to explain this except using the title of some sort of indicator.

I was formally diagnosed with Autism in June this year but since then, my parent's have refused to accept the fact that I'm autistic and even simple accommodations such as reducing sounds when able too or providing a safe space or learning triggers etc are refused or dismissed and not acknowledged by either of them. My dad works away and comes home during the week and my mum works in the town where I live but neither I have found are interested in the slightest with the home environment becoming more difficult to navigate.

I find the only respite that I get is during the day when everyone is at work and I'm on my own.

Alongside the autism, I'm also diagnosed with general anxiety, social anxiety, depression and an eating disorder.

Has anyone else experienced this at all?

• LOL, my paranoid schizophrenic father did exactly the same. He also kept me from learning about my Aspergers diagnosis that I received when I was a child. I highly suspect he was on the spectrum too, there is significant overlap between ASD and schizophrenia. 

I suggest you to move out. Some people, especially older people, are quite set in their ways and will just ignore any new input. You will begin to heal and to improve when you will be master of your own environment.

• The best way to say sane in the family home, is to seek adjustment that help you to adapt, because if there is conflict on an issue it likely won’t be surrendered-to. So get yourself headphones, visual stimuli, strategically place your furniture.

I second that. Take control of the things you can manage and if your family are too uncaring to make adaptations for you then adapt to stay away from them when they are causing triggering activites.

Noise cancelling headphones are a godsend.

Make your room your safe space - put a lock on the door if you must and tell your family that if they will not make allowances for what is classed as a disability then you will take matters into your own hands.

Autism is highly likely to be inherited from one or both parents so if your parents are possibly autistic themselves then they may not empathise with you. After all they may have gone through the same thing when they were young and got no support or special accommodations made for them and they turned out so you better just buckle up and do the same as them.

The anxiety, depression and eating disorders are quite possibly all stemming from the autism, so I would recommend some reading material for you:

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

An Aspie's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety - Attwood, Tony, Evans, Craig R., Lesko, Anita (2015)
    eISBN 9781784501198

Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger Syndrome - A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life - Nancy J., Ph.D. Patrick (2008)
    ISBN 9781843108764

and some other good, light reading:

Neurodiversity - Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences - Thomas Armstrong (2010)
    ISBN 9780738214115

• Yes.. Ultimately the family home is always going onto be a battlefield, where concessions and over-familiarity is concerned, I never did find it comfortable there.

When I moved out I got my own space, so concession were a greater-consideration, because if my familial-bond provide nothing but conflict, I just would choose not to bond. 

The best way to say sane in the family home, is to seek adjustment that help you to adapt, because if there is conflict on an issue it likely won’t be surrendered-to. So get yourself headphones, visual stimuli, strategically place your furniture. And try to link your special-interest to suit avoidance of an overly-occupied house..

Though be careful what you wish for, because if you don’t control your own monsters, they may control you. Try not to resist too-many attempts from family to pull you out of ‘hermit mode’..