Work wants me to change where I sit

My workplace is trying to be really accommodating to my disabilities. I have seizures, hearing loss and some joint issues (yes I won the genetic lottery). Our office usually hot desks which means we can sit anywhere we like however, HR has recommended I get an assigned desk set up for me only. 

The problem is I've been working at this company for a year already and have my seat. I always sit there. People will literally move when I come in to the office (I work out off the office sometimes visiting other sites). It's my seat. My manager was being really supportive but just didn't get it. He thinks that it's "only one move" and "the new seat will become your seat".

I don't want to move. The idea stresses me out. Currently, I set up on a picnic table where I can spread all my stuff out, there aren't loads of people around me, but if people do need to talk to me I can see them coming, there's a lot of open space if I do have a fit, and to be frank I've been there a year. I don't want to change now. The idea of it is stressing me out but I promised I'd think about it. 

It feels silly to be almost crying over a seat, but I don't understand how to communicate that I don't want to move. I've said it directly and indirectly, including the words "I am autistic, change is hard, I don't feel comfortable moving". 

Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with the move I don't want?

Parents
  • I do not think you are being silly at all. Autistic people can be very resistant to change and there often very good reasons for that, things which a non autistic probably would not even be aware of. It is not silly to be your authentic autistic self.

When I worked in offices I had to undergo numerous reorganisations involving forced moves. I found all of them extremely difficult and stressful. My managers didn't understand why I always seemed to make such a huge fuss about it and back then I didn't either.

There are so many variables to consider to meet the needs of someone with autism and other disabilities. For example proximity to other people, noise from nearby equipment such as photocopiers or printers, constant interruptions if located on a main thoroughfare or near a door, the line of sight, the amount of natural light, the flickering and buzzing from the overhead lighting, the temperature, etc.

I would suggest finding out as much information as you can about where the proposed new desk is located. That way you can make a reasoned argument why it may not be as suitable as your existing arrangement. It's important that your employers understand that an unsuitable location would have a negative impact upon your ability to work effectively. The autism equation springs to mind.

autism + environment = outcome

I would also find out exactly why your existing workspace can't be made into your permanent assigned one. I'm guessing this might have something to do with it being a picnic table, rather than a traditional desk. That may have health and safety implications. The employee responsibility for health and safety where I used to work was often around the office measure desk heights, checking chairs for support etc. I suspect he would have been horrified at the idea of anyone working at a picnic table. 

Personally I've never worked anywhere that had a picnic table in the office. I wonder if it is one of those new trendy casual workspace things. Alternatively it may be that it was only intended for use as a casual space for breaks and lunch etc. That could be why your employer doesn't like it being used as a workspace. If other colleagues also work at a picnic table that may strengthen your argument.

The other thing that occurs to me is that currently it isn't really fair on colleagues who have to move from that table when you arrive in the office. While they may appear to do so willingly I wonder if things have been said that you may not be aware of. Have you thought about a situation where you arrive and the colleague(s) at your table do not move. It would be understandable if your reaction was very negative.

In that respect a planned change is easier to cope with than an unplanned one. That is one huge advantage of having your own assigned desk, knowing that it will be free when you arrive.

If they suggest a new location which seems to meet all of your needs you could always agree to trial it on a temporary basis first and see how you adapt.

• I do not think you are being silly at all. Autistic people can be very resistant to change and there often very good reasons for that, things which a non autistic probably would not even be aware of. It is not silly to be your authentic autistic self.

When I worked in offices I had to undergo numerous reorganisations involving forced moves. I found all of them extremely difficult and stressful. My managers didn't understand why I always seemed to make such a huge fuss about it and back then I didn't either.

There are so many variables to consider to meet the needs of someone with autism and other disabilities. For example proximity to other people, noise from nearby equipment such as photocopiers or printers, constant interruptions if located on a main thoroughfare or near a door, the line of sight, the amount of natural light, the flickering and buzzing from the overhead lighting, the temperature, etc.

I would suggest finding out as much information as you can about where the proposed new desk is located. That way you can make a reasoned argument why it may not be as suitable as your existing arrangement. It's important that your employers understand that an unsuitable location would have a negative impact upon your ability to work effectively. The autism equation springs to mind.

autism + environment = outcome

I would also find out exactly why your existing workspace can't be made into your permanent assigned one. I'm guessing this might have something to do with it being a picnic table, rather than a traditional desk. That may have health and safety implications. The employee responsibility for health and safety where I used to work was often around the office measure desk heights, checking chairs for support etc. I suspect he would have been horrified at the idea of anyone working at a picnic table. 

Personally I've never worked anywhere that had a picnic table in the office. I wonder if it is one of those new trendy casual workspace things. Alternatively it may be that it was only intended for use as a casual space for breaks and lunch etc. That could be why your employer doesn't like it being used as a workspace. If other colleagues also work at a picnic table that may strengthen your argument.

The other thing that occurs to me is that currently it isn't really fair on colleagues who have to move from that table when you arrive in the office. While they may appear to do so willingly I wonder if things have been said that you may not be aware of. Have you thought about a situation where you arrive and the colleague(s) at your table do not move. It would be understandable if your reaction was very negative.

In that respect a planned change is easier to cope with than an unplanned one. That is one huge advantage of having your own assigned desk, knowing that it will be free when you arrive.

If they suggest a new location which seems to meet all of your needs you could always agree to trial it on a temporary basis first and see how you adapt.

Children
No Data