Rule 13: the last nail in NAS's coffin?

Today completes an important step for the National Autistic Society. Today with Rule 13 they complete the abdication of responsibility for supporting autistic adults reaching out for help.

You may remember in 2021 that the National Autistic Society closed its general helpline. There was a thread about it on this forum. As was pointed out at the time from that point onwards this forum became the only port of call at the National Autistic Society for help for people who did not qualify for one of the remaining helplines.

And the remaining helplines pertain to children in school, children leaving school and parents of autistic children. The National Autistic Society has become a defacto children’s charity leaving autistic adults out in the cold.

Now not content with refusing to help autistic adults they now seek to reduce autistic adults ability to help each other. I fully admit that a bunch of amateurs on an autistic support forum is a poor substitute for professional help. However the vast majority of those seeking such help now have nowhere to go professional or otherwise.

Some of you know that I also brought a lawsuit against an organisation for discrimination. I reached out to the citizens advice bureau and got no useful help. I reached out to the EASS and they said that they couldn’t help me because the other party would not engage with them. I wrote to established academics with a background in discrimination law and autism and they said they couldn’t help me.

Yes I rang that autism helpline back when it existed, back when I tried to get some justice and they said we can’t help you. But at least I spoke to someone who admitted that he was supposed to be able to help me. That helping me was what he was there for.

With regard to the law when you bring a case for discrimination most of the time legal aid is not available. This is in part because the majority of discrimination cases go through the small claims track which is intended to operate without lawyers.

Something similar applies to the health service. It’s very easy for autistic people to get sidelined in the health service particularly if they are bad at articulating their needs and concerns. Again I know this from personal experience.

At this point if autistic adults come to this forum or the loved ones of autistic adults come to this forum and say they are having difficulty with the law or discrimination or a medical issue rule 13 interpreted strictly means that we can provide no helpful advice other than pointing to sources of help that in fact do not exist.

For quite some time now I have run a website dedicated to helping autistic people defend their rights and oppose discrimination. I chose not to include a forum on that website because I was aware that policing it could involve a substantial amount of work. However this development has persuaded me to change my mind. So I’m announcing that areyoualien.uk now has a forum for autistic people. The focus of this forum like the website is advocating for autistic rights in government policy and the law and opposing discrimination. You are all very much welcome there.

Parents
  • Hi online community users,

Thankyou for your post and comments on this thread. 

Peer support is encouraged on this platform but as the rule states, users should not provide legal or medical advice. If you are unsure whether your  advice is legal or medical, please do get in touch with our moderation team by emailing communitymanager@nas.org.uk .

Moderators may remove posts that break any of the community rules (https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules), without prior warning. However, often the approach is to post a rules reminder in the thread and contact the user directly. Banning members is something we try to avoid where possible although sometimes users will be placed into moderation for a set period of time.

We hope this provides some reassurance, please do get in touch at the email address mentioned if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Clare Mod

• Respectfully that's as clear as mud. Define the difference between peer support and advice please.

And the suggestion that people concerned should contact a mod is totally unrealistic given the average turn around time on that is about 24 hours sometimes more.

• I think maybe together we can find a useful way to stick to the rules and write with prudence on some topics.

You have the decidedly greater experience of seniority compared to me who have been here for a very short time.

It's not okay to ask to delay a post by 24 hours, ok.

But a useful way to write better being in the forum is can propose.

Maybe by opening a special thread only on suggestions on what seems wrong or not very functional to you.

My feeling is that by copying some regulations of important Italian forums, additional rules can be avoided.

I write to copy some rules to avoid having to rewrite regulations from scratch or change them into additional rules.
    §

I think we can vote for the best ones if we want to make a new regulation that appeals to the majority of us.

Maybe one thing can give a sense of annoyance: these are the impositions.

But what if we shared a guideline on how to orient ourselves to write freely while maintaining impeccable ethics?

I find myself writing about topics that we would not be discussing.

As you would immediately receive a recall.
    Or a ban .

What I may have understood from my poor English is that we should be careful not to infer specific medical and legal spheres.

I am also displaced because here it has not been discussed as an argument.

One tends to write in a very aseptic way.

Here in a way that I find more empathetic than us.

By signing up here I noticed that you are much more empathetic and emotional than us.

I find it important.

In general, I read you and perceive that you direct a lot of heart and feelings with respect to us.

Our forums are colder, I don't know how to explain it.
  • I would say you only really need to exclude trolls or indeed closing entire form to deal with trolls when there’s a lot of them and they’re all working together. My point is that’s not the situation here. It’s not the situation in the other forum I’ve set up either.

however if a habbo hotel situation occurred that made self policing unrealistic the mods here would be as powerless as I would be on my forum. That was my point.

• IP is associated with a mail.

If a user can always change IP, there are already devices that do this, he must indicate his identity in the email.

Unless he's a hacker.

So one person among a thousand of us.
    §

I think that at most one of us can resent it and not want to write anymore.

The reverse would happen: then I don't know how to identify with people who do these things.

Unless I agree precisely to sign up, I wouldn't do it dishonestly

*You know maybe, this is a projection of a personal reasoning, in us autistics it is absent.

§
    Then in real life there are also despicable people.
    §
    Their friends
    Usually we are people who do not have many social contacts.

Socialization is a huge problem for us.

Then there are other inconveniences and people will have 4/5 friends.

Of which perhaps none of these inclined to harm.

§
    Maybe I start from the idea of not contemplating hatred and resentment, or anything like that.

I am amazed at human behavior.

*You could easily be right about this.
    §
    I like the passage in your post where you write that most people are well-intentioned.

Maybe some are wrong.

§

The direct passage of some computer system reactions, therefore of the algorithms, can be revised.

§
    I apologize because yesterday I had not noticed the revision of my posts, and therefore the acceptance.
    §
    I tend to trust what you write.
    Logic 1: not trusted.

Then the presence in a forum is useless

Logic 2: you trust, and you try to help if the person asks.

Or at least if it is considered in serious difficulty.

Logic 3: trolls.

Which have always existed.

But which are usually rejected by a healthy community.

§
    It happens with fans.

In my soccer team that won the championship, the coach ran to stop the teasing at the opponents.

People immediately listened to him.

Because what is fundamental is the social basis of people.

If this is healthy, refuse bad behavior.

§
    Also consider that the forums are increasingly frequented by older people.

The young ones attend them only in the minority.
    §
    They don't like in-depth talks.

Sometimes I think that not even in real life they are useful, rather they are harmful.
    §
    On the forums I meant that the Community must understand by itself that a troll, or other wrong people should be marginalized.

§
    As far as I can see here, the forum is small, and some of you write really well.

I wrote in Forum Italiani Universitari of over 100,000 people including students and professors.

But also in others: the trolls have always lost and gone out, if they came back anyway then they got tired by themselves.

§

For me, kind and peaceful communication is essential.

Very fair play, the rest doesn't belong to me for example.

But I don't think it belongs to the Forum.

§
    Let's get to the rules.

Those of a forum are always self-protection of the forum itself.

Because the forum is the most important thing.

§
    I am writing to you a stone's throw from the Ferrari Corse headquarters.

The motto of the team is that the team is important.

Not the best driver.

That has its day while the brand remains in history.

In these years we are bad.

But the local people always look for the good of the team.

That is, the environment is healthy.

And here no one ever wants to lose.

• @Peter : Accept my apologies.

But in this forum my pc doesn't insert the right formatting.

§

Meanwhile, it's not my language, I don't think like you (I think) but through images and I already translate into Italian 2 times.

Listening and responding.

The rest in me is very fast: Even if I'm dysgraphic, and I have ADHD so my mind is constantly working.
    §
    Here I can't express myself as in Italian where if I commit myself my posts are perfect, I correct them at least 10 times first though.
    §
    I was explaining to you some very strict rules in Italy.

§
    At least that I've seen: they work well.

§
    I state one thing: those who write in the forum for the first posts cannot even send messages, they have access to some areas that are trusted by us users.
    §
    I'll try to write you in points:

IP if you change it you can ask for a verification by the authorities if the person creates harassment to others.leave no trace, nothing on the web leaves no trace.

Even if you change your IP.

A good hacker would succeed.

A forum user is usually not a hacker.

It works perfectly.

There is a Postal Police which takes care of it in unfortunate cases
    2) IP: they can be changed.

But I assure you that users are short-lived if they are not honest
    3) I don't know how many posts he has written, but there has never been a minimum measure.

This is because it also depends on how we behave.

Then you know, dear Peter, everyone helps the moderators with their work, so in case we exclude them pending action.

4) A control by the users themselves would be desirable.

Usually, with us, if a user writes wrong things, or allows himself to annoy the community of the forum, he has everyone against him.

Also because in psychology forums there are very fragile people, some, when they need psychological help, almost always have at least one user who makes them think so they can calm down.

The night is the worst for them.

Bad consequences are also avoided, sometimes badly needed posts appear.

5)
    The advice to view other forums and copy the useful things in the regulations I think would be possible
    6) rules or algorithms are introduced to avoid many problems.

7) In our Forums not only can you not go overboard in Off Topic, but you are warned as soon as possible. after that there is only the BAN.

Whoever comes back, by the way, we recognize him.

By how he writes.
    From how he behaves and much more.

8) Maybe you wrote it Peter.
    *I think an autistic person can make mistakes easily.

And not even realize you were wrong.

So many rules to follow and especially if you change them confuse people.

And in any case, since the rules and moderators are too strict, many quality users from us do not write in the forums, but in groups for example.

The rules are less strict.

I was writing in a special group on fb and there were about 30 of us.

Every time I read I learn from others.

Usually the level of the Autistic forums is much higher than any other NT.

§

Then my passions led me to write in thematic forums of different types.

9) I received several flags in this phase that I can't understand.

For me it becomes stressful like this, because I don't have a clear way of understanding.

It's not good for posts to disappear and go to stand by.

If I'm wrong, it's never wanted, but at the same time if I'm wrong I would like to understand where and apologize or rewrite the post by deleting the annoying part.

Knowing that the 10th of this month may not be there stresses me out a lot.

I think not only of me.

10) I was disconcerted that you resented a rule, because maybe that rule already existed as a whole, but it wasn't updated and clear, or they simply do the same as we do.

Many of us unsubscribe from forums.

They don't even think about re-subscribing.

If they are not made free to write .

§

My last posts in Italy are from 5 years ago.

Precisely because there is no room for freedom.

Then also because the forums here are unfortunately for the over 40s.

Difficult for a non-elderly person to write in a forum.

§

In a post that is under investigation here in the thread I thanked the moderation for the help, as I had decided not to write anymore.

They were super nice.

That's why I came back.

§
    I find some of your high-level interventions.

Written by intelligent people over average.

§

I didn't explain well.

Clear that the self-government of us correct users, which I think are even more than 95% is desirable.

I meant as much as possible to help each other understand if this is wrong.

Or to avoid flames, or similar things.

Be patient my thinking is much more complex than I can express, and it is not clear.

§
    I ask a question to all of you: why should we close a forum for trolls?

In my experience, they are the ones who are excluded if anything.

• That's still an issue no matter what rules you make. You ban someone they make a new account. Ban the IP then they use a VPN or internet cafe. Or get their friends to raid the forum on mass. Say 4chan targeted us with some habbo hotel style raid. All we could do would be to close the forum until the trolls got tired. You have to assume most people on a forum are at least well intentioned.

• That's still an issue no matter what rules you make. You ban someone they make a new account. Ban the IP then they use a VPN or internet cafe. Or get their friends to raid the forum on mass. Say 4chan targeted us with some habbo hotel style raid. All we could do would be to close the forum until the trolls got tired. You have to assume most people on a forum are at least well intentioned.

Children
  • I would say you only really need to exclude trolls or indeed closing entire form to deal with trolls when there’s a lot of them and they’re all working together. My point is that’s not the situation here. It’s not the situation in the other forum I’ve set up either.

however if a habbo hotel situation occurred that made self policing unrealistic the mods here would be as powerless as I would be on my forum. That was my point.

• IP is associated with a mail.

If a user can always change IP, there are already devices that do this, he must indicate his identity in the email.

Unless he's a hacker.

So one person among a thousand of us.
    §

I think that at most one of us can resent it and not want to write anymore.

The reverse would happen: then I don't know how to identify with people who do these things.

Unless I agree precisely to sign up, I wouldn't do it dishonestly

*You know maybe, this is a projection of a personal reasoning, in us autistics it is absent.

§
    Then in real life there are also despicable people.
    §
    Their friends
    Usually we are people who do not have many social contacts.

Socialization is a huge problem for us.

Then there are other inconveniences and people will have 4/5 friends.

Of which perhaps none of these inclined to harm.

§
    Maybe I start from the idea of not contemplating hatred and resentment, or anything like that.

I am amazed at human behavior.

*You could easily be right about this.
    §
    I like the passage in your post where you write that most people are well-intentioned.

Maybe some are wrong.

§

The direct passage of some computer system reactions, therefore of the algorithms, can be revised.

§
    I apologize because yesterday I had not noticed the revision of my posts, and therefore the acceptance.
    §
    I tend to trust what you write.
    Logic 1: not trusted.

Then the presence in a forum is useless

Logic 2: you trust, and you try to help if the person asks.

Or at least if it is considered in serious difficulty.

Logic 3: trolls.

Which have always existed.

But which are usually rejected by a healthy community.

§
    It happens with fans.

In my soccer team that won the championship, the coach ran to stop the teasing at the opponents.

People immediately listened to him.

Because what is fundamental is the social basis of people.

If this is healthy, refuse bad behavior.

§
    Also consider that the forums are increasingly frequented by older people.

The young ones attend them only in the minority.
    §
    They don't like in-depth talks.

Sometimes I think that not even in real life they are useful, rather they are harmful.
    §
    On the forums I meant that the Community must understand by itself that a troll, or other wrong people should be marginalized.

§
    As far as I can see here, the forum is small, and some of you write really well.

I wrote in Forum Italiani Universitari of over 100,000 people including students and professors.

But also in others: the trolls have always lost and gone out, if they came back anyway then they got tired by themselves.

§

For me, kind and peaceful communication is essential.

Very fair play, the rest doesn't belong to me for example.

But I don't think it belongs to the Forum.

§
    Let's get to the rules.

Those of a forum are always self-protection of the forum itself.

Because the forum is the most important thing.

§
    I am writing to you a stone's throw from the Ferrari Corse headquarters.

The motto of the team is that the team is important.

Not the best driver.

That has its day while the brand remains in history.

In these years we are bad.

But the local people always look for the good of the team.

That is, the environment is healthy.

And here no one ever wants to lose.

• @Peter : Accept my apologies.

But in this forum my pc doesn't insert the right formatting.

§

Meanwhile, it's not my language, I don't think like you (I think) but through images and I already translate into Italian 2 times.

Listening and responding.

The rest in me is very fast: Even if I'm dysgraphic, and I have ADHD so my mind is constantly working.
    §
    Here I can't express myself as in Italian where if I commit myself my posts are perfect, I correct them at least 10 times first though.
    §
    I was explaining to you some very strict rules in Italy.

§
    At least that I've seen: they work well.

§
    I state one thing: those who write in the forum for the first posts cannot even send messages, they have access to some areas that are trusted by us users.
    §
    I'll try to write you in points:

IP if you change it you can ask for a verification by the authorities if the person creates harassment to others.leave no trace, nothing on the web leaves no trace.

Even if you change your IP.

A good hacker would succeed.

A forum user is usually not a hacker.

It works perfectly.

There is a Postal Police which takes care of it in unfortunate cases
    2) IP: they can be changed.

But I assure you that users are short-lived if they are not honest
    3) I don't know how many posts he has written, but there has never been a minimum measure.

This is because it also depends on how we behave.

Then you know, dear Peter, everyone helps the moderators with their work, so in case we exclude them pending action.

4) A control by the users themselves would be desirable.

Usually, with us, if a user writes wrong things, or allows himself to annoy the community of the forum, he has everyone against him.

Also because in psychology forums there are very fragile people, some, when they need psychological help, almost always have at least one user who makes them think so they can calm down.

The night is the worst for them.

Bad consequences are also avoided, sometimes badly needed posts appear.

5)
    The advice to view other forums and copy the useful things in the regulations I think would be possible
    6) rules or algorithms are introduced to avoid many problems.

7) In our Forums not only can you not go overboard in Off Topic, but you are warned as soon as possible. after that there is only the BAN.

Whoever comes back, by the way, we recognize him.

By how he writes.
    From how he behaves and much more.

8) Maybe you wrote it Peter.
    *I think an autistic person can make mistakes easily.

And not even realize you were wrong.

So many rules to follow and especially if you change them confuse people.

And in any case, since the rules and moderators are too strict, many quality users from us do not write in the forums, but in groups for example.

The rules are less strict.

I was writing in a special group on fb and there were about 30 of us.

Every time I read I learn from others.

Usually the level of the Autistic forums is much higher than any other NT.

§

Then my passions led me to write in thematic forums of different types.

9) I received several flags in this phase that I can't understand.

For me it becomes stressful like this, because I don't have a clear way of understanding.

It's not good for posts to disappear and go to stand by.

If I'm wrong, it's never wanted, but at the same time if I'm wrong I would like to understand where and apologize or rewrite the post by deleting the annoying part.

Knowing that the 10th of this month may not be there stresses me out a lot.

I think not only of me.

10) I was disconcerted that you resented a rule, because maybe that rule already existed as a whole, but it wasn't updated and clear, or they simply do the same as we do.

Many of us unsubscribe from forums.

They don't even think about re-subscribing.

If they are not made free to write .

§

My last posts in Italy are from 5 years ago.

Precisely because there is no room for freedom.

Then also because the forums here are unfortunately for the over 40s.

Difficult for a non-elderly person to write in a forum.

§

In a post that is under investigation here in the thread I thanked the moderation for the help, as I had decided not to write anymore.

They were super nice.

That's why I came back.

§
    I find some of your high-level interventions.

Written by intelligent people over average.

§

I didn't explain well.

Clear that the self-government of us correct users, which I think are even more than 95% is desirable.

I meant as much as possible to help each other understand if this is wrong.

Or to avoid flames, or similar things.

Be patient my thinking is much more complex than I can express, and it is not clear.

§
    I ask a question to all of you: why should we close a forum for trolls?

In my experience, they are the ones who are excluded if anything.