Carer falling asleep during visit

Hey all 

Wonder if anyone could give me some valuable advice on what to do with a paid agency carer who fell asleep whilst on a hours respite visit - for my full time carer (family member) 

the carer arrived and within around 10 minutes he was fast asleep, and i include snoring too with occasions of me trying to keep them awake. 
I had managed to communicate to another family member via text and they immediately came over to take over my care whilst my primary full time carer was out running errands on their respite. 
the paid carer was then relieved of their duties by my family member and sent on their way. 

my f/t carer has been appalled by the occurance and wanted to make a complaint due to the harm it potentially left me in but I’ve decided to hold back, as someone on the spectrum I don’t deal well with conflict and I don’t want him to get in to trouble I guess?

I have seen this same carer since and the attitude has changed, complaining of low pay and the duties that are included with some other clients (not me)

also whilst “ supervising” me whilst I try to do my independant living tasks I had recently tried to make conversation but they were too busy watching videos on their phone which I felt was rude

I Really don’t no what to do for the best but they never acted like this before and I’ve never come across a situation like this either  

is giving them the benefit of the doubt the wrong thing to do? It might seem like such an obvious question but I’m pretty anxious about it all

sorry it’s a long message 

• If the carer is employed by an agency,  then i suggest you contact them, to express your concerns. 

• The more I rerrand what I wrote plus the comments I am learning that’s it’s morally wrong and it needs to be addressed I am lucky that he doesn’t need to help administer medications but I know others will and I feel anxious that perhaps that they may not get the professionalism that they deserve too but also can’t speak out  thanks also to you for your replies 

• This is really helpful thank you so much for this I will use this to help communicate with him regarding it

• First draft of a letter to the carer - please chime in with any changes or additions.

Dear <insert name of carer>, I wanted to write this down as I'm not very good at talking.

I'll get to the point - I am upset that you have been falling asleep on your visits and that you spend time on your mobile phone watching videos when you were supposed to be working with me.

I appreciate you are not highly paid for your job, but I don't ask for much.

Please work with me and be attentive when you are here as this means the world to me.

Thank you.

I wanted to keep it brief and to the point.

• Sorry, i mis-typed.  Helping.

• Nas 51148
    They are PAID  to do a job.
    PLEASE  report it.
    Express your concerns and hopefully they can weed out those not fit for purpose.
    Be brave, and speak out.
    You should have a REAL Professional hewlping you.
    Take action.

• Thank you so much for the reply I guess I’m a little bit naive and know that day to day for me is tough so I don’t want to inflict too much on others, but that experience has certainly been a first for me after having care from an agency over the last few years. The said agency carer is fairly new to me so that’s why I’ve been kind of struggling to know what to say,, or  at least to be brave enough to try and communicate that I didn’t feel comfortable with their actions. 

I never have a problem with them having a drink should they need it, or if they want to bring their own lunch box in for the longer visits to snack whilst I’m also snacking.. more as a companion thing also 

I would grately appreciate any help in approaching it the right way and I think a letter would be a good start as I really wouldn’t be able to do it verbally 

thanks for giving up your time to reply to me!

• I have seen this same carer since and the attitude has changed, complaining of low pay and the duties that are included with some other clients (not me) whilst “ supervising” me whilst I try to do my independant living tasks I tried to make conversation but they were too busy watching videos on their phone 

So they are failing to do the job they are sent there to do.

Write them a note so that you don't have to have the face to face conflict and tell them you are concerned that their actions are not just a risk to you (through lack of supervision) but to his own job if you escalate it.

Your needs from him are not great and it is only for an hour so if he needs a coffee to start the session then get him to do that (assuming you are OK with him using your crockery and coffee). Personal time on his phone is a no while he is working too - it helps to set some simple boundaries.

If you are OK with the lower conflict approach then it seems the most likely to get results if there can be had at all.

Hopefully he will see that you are giving him a second chance (or is it third now?) and will adapt his behaviour, otherwise he is a risk to you and the others he sees, so the sooner he is gone the better.

If you want a hand crafting a note to this effect then shout - myself or one of the others on here can help with this if you are not sure what to say.

• Well they are not a carer then are they ?

Report them.