Like toys and play

I am autistic level 2 or moderate to severe. 
My entire life I have loved to play with toys. It can be Lego, stuffed animals, bouncing balls, water toys, kinetic sand

I just love these things and many other toys. But I should not I am adult since long time.
It feels great playing with these things but I also like doing some grown up things too.
When feeling overwhelmed I still even am thumb sucking or use something else also when tired or not feeling well.
When eating I prefer just using my fingers at home only fork or spoon when not at home but it is a struggle.
I just feel the best when I can be myself.
I am just like this and was taught be ashamed of this but I dont want to be ashamed this is who I am
Is it okay or am I wrong in some way?

• Hello SebastianASD,

Please note rule 2 of this forum:

"This Community forum is public, so do not post personal or identifying details. This includes, but is not limited to, full names, addresses, contact details, social media, or photographs of yourself. "

Best,

Karin Mod

• Thanks friend
    If you instagram I am xxxx [Edited by moderator].

• That's terrible I am sorry you have been treated like that. Despite what anyone else thinks it's totally fine for you to do this. My dad hates me having toys and playing with them but I'm lucky that my mum is supportive of me. 

• You are very welcome! Your creation is very cool, it’s very intricate and detailed.

You have a great dream, I can relate to your need for peace!

A small log home with a fireplace outdoor at the water with a small bridge and boat surrounded by forest and mountains. That is my dream place to live but will never happen. Too expensive and no one thinks of it as a quiet place where mind can relax for once. No neighbors anywhere to see and large garden or what you call it so no one can build right next to me.

Seems like your own brilliant vision of Autopia!

• True my parents programed me to not like play. I was forbidden from age 12 to play. All my toys were removed on my birthday all I had in my room was a bed, a desk and shelfs with books to read. Not that I ever could read and understand but I could read but no use when I could not understand a word

• Thank you 
    I love to just do things nothing special. I just did this tonight

A small log home with a fireplace outdoor at the water with a small bridge and boat surrounded by forest and mountains. That is my dream place to live but will never happen. Too expensive and no one thinks of it as a quiet place where mind can relax for once. No neighbors anywhere to see and large garden or what you call it so no one can build right next to me.
    I always wanted something like this but will never ever happen sadly will never get that peace that I need

• Hi Sebastian. Honestly mate there's nothing wrong with this and it's reassuring for me to hear you do this as I still play with my toys as well. I love playing with my figures and my cars, Playmobil, all the things I grew up with except I never outgrew them. Some people will disagree but I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't hurt you or anyone else so you go right ahead mate. That's what I do.

Wherever people tell me to grow up I always think this from my favourite TV show.

Never stop being yourself and always do what you enjoy. That's what I say.

• Your interests are perfectly valid, as long as they make you happy that is all that matters!

Every autistic person is different and no one should ever be made to ashamed of who they are!

I can understand why you like kinetic sand and bouncing balls, they are very cool stim objects. What is your favourite stuffed animal/creation to make with kinetic sand?

I just feel the best when I can be myself.

Exactly! This is so important, so do whatever gives you autistic joy.

Be your authentic autistic self!

• This is my squish a boo Heart they are soft and lovely to play with and you can get a lot of different ones.

• So cute Heart
    I love Eor too and have two of him Heart eyes

• That looks lovely and soft. I've got a big round squish a boo which I play with and cuddle.

• Hello again Sebastian.

Playing with toys can be a great way to stim or a sensory seeking activity for autistic people of all ages. There is nothing wrong with this at all. 

The people who taught you to be ashamed were wrong and clearly did not understand autism. It will be hard for you to shake off those beliefs but it sounds like you are doing great. Nobody should be ashamed of being themselves.

I love cuddly stuffed animals too, my current favourite is a Disney Eeyore.

• Is it okay or am I wrong in some way?

It's perfectly ok. If you enjoy it and have fun then what's the problem? I still enjoy playing with some of my toys as well. It doesn't hurt anyone and it makes me feel good so why not. 

• Hi Sebastian! All of these things are okay, even when you're an adult. There are lots of people who do the things you do- I like cuddly toys myself, and I work with a lady who has a whole room full of Lego models that she's made.

I actually think that it's a really good thing that you talk about your interests so openly here- it shows us all that even though people have made you feel bad about who you are, you can still be yourself.

As for eating with your hands, that's very common too- in some cultures it's the usual way of eating.

You're not doing anything wrong by being who you are. In a way, it's more grown up and mature to say 'I like to play and have fun' than it is to pretend we all have to put our toys away forever in order to be 'proper adults'.