Parents
  • What supports do you have, Abstract? 

• Have you looked if there's anything in your county council that supports autistic people? For example in my county there are groups for autistic people and they also organise and provide transport for days out. It sounds like you need some support to get out and change your routine. 

• I see. For me it's sensory. I would try to tolerate it in the past and get overwhelmed and shutdown. I do the bare minimum at the moment but I do volunteer twice a week and that gives me enough contact to stop the loneliness being unbearable.

I'm working through a book of DBT skills for neurodivergent people at the moment because I'm terrified of getting to a bad place again. I wonder if that would help you - it's about identifying your autistic profile and strengths and how it impacts your life, then building skills to manage using mindfulness, distress tolerance and emotional regulation. How do you find therapy? Does your therapist come up with strategies you can try? I've read on here previously that people have worked through this book with their therapist. 

• Age (30's), hiding my autism,  no groups or schemes for adults with Asperger's and having never met other neurodiverse people in my life.

Also my interests are largely solitary and not easy to share with others

(shows and games from the 1990's, using the Linux operating system and music I find on Spotify and YouTube.)

• Age (30's), hiding my autism,  no groups or schemes for adults with Asperger's and having never met other neurodiverse people in my life.

Also my interests are largely solitary and not easy to share with others

(shows and games from the 1990's, using the Linux operating system and music I find on Spotify and YouTube.)

Children
  • I see. For me it's sensory. I would try to tolerate it in the past and get overwhelmed and shutdown. I do the bare minimum at the moment but I do volunteer twice a week and that gives me enough contact to stop the loneliness being unbearable.

I'm working through a book of DBT skills for neurodivergent people at the moment because I'm terrified of getting to a bad place again. I wonder if that would help you - it's about identifying your autistic profile and strengths and how it impacts your life, then building skills to manage using mindfulness, distress tolerance and emotional regulation. How do you find therapy? Does your therapist come up with strategies you can try? I've read on here previously that people have worked through this book with their therapist.