Dream job disaster

Hi!

I am currently waiting for an autism and ADHD diagnosis but it’s looking very likely that I have both conditions.

I am struggling with employment and wondered if anyone could give any advice. I always did well at school, have a maths degree and ended up in the career that I had always dreamed of. Unfortunately, the career that I thought would be fairly numbers based is very heavy on written work, specifically explanations. I have always struggled with explaining things, so unfortunately am really struggling at work, which hasn’t gone unnoticed by my team. People I work with are often frustrated as I don’t pull my weight, despite me putting in a lot of effort. The writing and explanations just isn’t clicking with me.

I am at a complete loss as I always wanted to be in this career but it obviously isn’t suited to me. I feel like I would be better suited to a problem solving/analytical (non-writing) role, but just have no idea what is out there and am very scared of choosing the wrong career again.

I had a similar role at a different company but found that far easier since the work had a template format, making it far easier to know what I needed to write about.

Has anyone been through something similar? Or do you know of possible career paths forwards? What do you do for work?

• Hi, I can relate to this. I also am pursuing my dream career (i’m a neurobiologist) and finally started a PhD but I am also really struggling- with meeting expectations, I find writing very hard too, and I am currently overwhelmed socially and with the pressure being put on me. It might be an idea to reach out at work to see if you can get some adjustments that might help. Also, Iike you have pointed out, it really depends on the environment you are working on - if you can’t manage to make it work at your current company, could you maybe try to find a job at another? I have realised how well I cope is also dependent on the environment I work in, whether there is support, how understanding the supervisor is, number of people at work, how things are organised etc. 

• I found this : https://ima.org.uk/membership/   Institute of Mathematics and its Applications

"The IMA is the professional learned institute for mathematicians. We support the advancement of mathematical knowledge and its applications to promote and enhance mathematical practice for the benefit of society.

With a growing membership of over 5000 members worldwide, we unite and support mathematicians from a diverse range of professions, as well as those with a passion for and interest in mathematics. No matter where your interest in mathematics has taken you or will take you in the future, we recognise and support all its applied uses.

We have membership grades to suit all individuals, tailored to your qualifications and experience; each with a wide range of benefits, supporting you through every stage of your career."

Might be worth an email or a phone call?

• I have exactly the same issue and I'm a diagnosed dyslexic waiting for an ASD assessment. I  wondered for a very long time why I could write pretty complex code (I'm a programmer) but couldn't explain how it worked to colleagues even though I have two engineering degrees, think technically, and have a clear understanding in my head of how it works, then found out I may be on the spectrum which I suspect may be the reason.

• I'm not sure if it's the same thing but my cousin's GP put her in touch with a woman who helped her with careers, so talking to your GP might be a good step to take next.

• I just struggle to think and write in the way that my team wants me to

Could you ask if there is a way to template the work output to make this easier for you?

There may well be more of a team effory to put this together but you can sell the idea on the basis of efficiency, working to standards, speed of training new staff and re-usability of work.

This would focus the unpleasant work up front to get this done then life gets a lot better afterwards - plus it is a great thing to have on your CV

• Think of a job or career that you would enjoy.
    Getting paid to do a job that you love would not feel like work. You get paid for fun !   Thumbsup

• I have been trying to find a career advisor but am struggling to get replies. Have you used one previously?

• Unfortunately I don’t fancy retraining for 3-4 years, although I do think it could be a good fit! 

• I’m definitely not dyslexic. I just struggle to think and write in the way that my team wants me to

• A career advisor is a great idea someone who can help you find the right stuff and options. I work from home on a farm.

• It may be worth finding a career advisor or mentor that can help you discover your options. Do you think you could be dyslexic? 

• id guess if your good at maths then being a accountant of some sort would be ok... but then that sounds complicated to me, like filling out tax reports and so on which is very complicated, although if its all maths and your good t that then it should be easy for you.

im no good at maths myself so im not sure what role youd be good at.... im good at long winded writing so id probs be good at whatever job you have if i didnt get bored of it lol