Health Advice For My Throat

Hello.

I joined here a while ago but haven't been online much because of my anxiety. My health anxiety is now bad because I've had a sore throat for about a year and now I've noticed a lump thing at the back of my mouth and I'm really worried it's cancer. I know a regular person would go to the doctors but I get so scared and anxious that I can't leave my house so I'm hoping someone here has experienced the same as me and can tell me what it might be.

Does it look like cancer? I think cancer mostly because of Google but also because it runs in our family. All my grandparents died of it and my cousin has it as well and she's only 36.

I've no other symptoms other than fatigue, nausea and unsteadiness when I walk where it feels like I'll fall over.

I've had this for so long the sore throat and I was originally given antibiotics by my doctor and that appointment last year nearly killed me! The anxiety was so bad I fainted, was sick, fainted again.. It was horrible!

Since then I've tried over the counter stuff but nothing works. And now that lumpy bit is there.

If you've got experience of this please say what you think it is as I am worried sick about this.

Parents
  • I got an appointment today because of cancellations. My doctor thinks chronic tonsillitis explains the recurring infection.But the swelling she is concerned about. She said there's white at the base of the swelling and it goes further down my throat so I've been urgently referred to hospital and should hear hear back about an urgent appointment.

I'm a bit worried in case it's something serious and life threatening and also because I hate hospitals and going to them always results in a horrible meltdown for me. Bit upset but glad that at least I've got some meds for my throat and mouth.

• I'm a bit worried in case it's something serious and life threatening

If you don't know then wait until you do know to worry about it - I find that focussing on this every time my mind starts worrying helps me put that particular genie back in its bottle.

It takes practice but works a treat once you have it.

I expect the infection is just a secondary, opportunistic infection that you caught while your immune system was knocked flat with the tonsillitis. Chances are that it will be antibiotic treatable and you will be right as rain in 2 weeks.

Thank you for taking some of the good advice on the thread. I'm glad the primary problem turned out to be what we thought it was and is easily treated. I suspect the secondary issue will be likewise.

• I'm a bit worried in case it's something serious and life threatening

If you don't know then wait until you do know to worry about it - I find that focussing on this every time my mind starts worrying helps me put that particular genie back in its bottle.

It takes practice but works a treat once you have it.

I expect the infection is just a secondary, opportunistic infection that you caught while your immune system was knocked flat with the tonsillitis. Chances are that it will be antibiotic treatable and you will be right as rain in 2 weeks.

Thank you for taking some of the good advice on the thread. I'm glad the primary problem turned out to be what we thought it was and is easily treated. I suspect the secondary issue will be likewise.

Children
No Data