Terrified of work

I'm too exhaused to even type this. I have started a new job and its a completely different career from what I'm used to. Its librarian work which you would think would suit me and sometimes it does but im used to being a teacher and the change to a new career, particularly after how badly I was discriminated against in my last job and the effect that had on me, has absolutley floored me.
Since starting this job I have had so much fear every morning and evening and at the end of lunch breaks about going back. The wierd things are there are also times when i feel very calm there and enjoy the job.

Its difficult to describe the effect its having on me. the only time in my life I went through something similar was the change when I left retail to start teaching. Its very very hard to put into words what is going through my head but it is extremely painful 

Any advice would be needed. I know it might pass when I get used to the job but I dont think I can stand this pain and suffering in the meantime 

Parents
  • Congrats on the librarian job Billy! I think your instincts are right and that it will suit you well (though don’t feel any pressure that it ‘must’) It’s just that adjustment takes longer for us when big change, even if positive, occurs. May I ask if it’s a public library or an academic one? In the case of the latter, this time of year is a time of respite and welcome going down a gear or two, but I can imagine that *starting* in that more fallow time might be unsettling as it’s not entirely business as usual and the place might be off it’s usual rhythms if that makes sense. 

I’ve noticed that even things I’ve looked forward to, like Christmas, it takes me a day to properly settle into - there’s a kind of ‘make the most of it’ factor that makes the clock tick too loud too early in one’s head. And then there’s that second half of the holiday where I’m finally caught up to the state of total relaxation everyone else got to right at the start of the holiday, but I’ve kind of squandered the time a bit. It’s hard to articulate entirely accurately what I mean. But maybe the gist is that what’s good and right for us can feel unsettling too, like the oxygen is too rich. But you will acclimatise in time I think. Hopefully a week, a month, two months from now, you’ll be in a trusted routine where you know the ropes and the rhythms of the place and can be more at peace, aligned to a job that might very well be the needed ideal if you’re still to work at all. 

• Congrats on the librarian job Billy! I think your instincts are right and that it will suit you well (though don’t feel any pressure that it ‘must’) It’s just that adjustment takes longer for us when big change, even if positive, occurs. May I ask if it’s a public library or an academic one? In the case of the latter, this time of year is a time of respite and welcome going down a gear or two, but I can imagine that *starting* in that more fallow time might be unsettling as it’s not entirely business as usual and the place might be off it’s usual rhythms if that makes sense. 

I’ve noticed that even things I’ve looked forward to, like Christmas, it takes me a day to properly settle into - there’s a kind of ‘make the most of it’ factor that makes the clock tick too loud too early in one’s head. And then there’s that second half of the holiday where I’m finally caught up to the state of total relaxation everyone else got to right at the start of the holiday, but I’ve kind of squandered the time a bit. It’s hard to articulate entirely accurately what I mean. But maybe the gist is that what’s good and right for us can feel unsettling too, like the oxygen is too rich. But you will acclimatise in time I think. Hopefully a week, a month, two months from now, you’ll be in a trusted routine where you know the ropes and the rhythms of the place and can be more at peace, aligned to a job that might very well be the needed ideal if you’re still to work at all. 

Children
  • P.s. I’ve worked with quite a few former teachers who became librarians instead and it saved their sanity and healed them from past stress. I’ve never heard one of them regret the change and wish it reversed. But it also took them time to unclench their fists a bit - so used were they to preparing for battle each day. Your stress and anxiety could be something like ptsd that finally has room (in a less stressful - if not stress free (it is a job after all!) work life) to make itself felt in the contrast. Like lingering background radiation. I think it will largely fade. Steadily. I hope so.