Washing - why so hard?

This is quite embarrassing to write but I'm going to do it anyway. Okay - this might just be a 'me' thing - if that's the case please just ignore this post but: 

Why is getting washed and/or clean so hard?

I don't know if it is an autistic thing but getting in the shower/changing clothes/changing bedding and doing laundry is so hard for me. I am an independent adult I should be able to function better. :( 

I just had a shower and washed my hair for the first time in X weeks (too ashamed to say). I feel better now and I smell nice, so why don't I manage to do it more often? 

I live alone and rarely go out or see people, so my lack of washing isn't bothering anyone. I wanted to ask my weekly cleaner to help me change my sheets but I am too ashamed for her to see the state of my bed so its something I will have to tackle alone. 

Anyway, if anyone can relate please comment below, or if you just want to tell me I'm being a big baby that's also fine.

Parents
  • Why is getting washed and/or clean so hard?

There are a few things you can try to make this easier.

If you work well with routine, create that routine - put up reminders to do in (maybe set a reminder on your phone) and try to force yourself into it. It takes 3 or more weeks for that constant repetition to become engrained into your brain (ie form new neural pathways in your behavioral centres) so you need to stick at it.

Are you reward focussed? Maybe allow yourself a special treat ONLY if you complete your task for the day. This requires discipline though.

Creating a routine that is performed on auto pilot can help. Basically if you wake up then you can't do anything (esp breakfast) before you have dragged yourself into the shower. The same on laundry day - if your machine is at home.

If you have to use external laundry then it is back to remiders on your phone to bug you until it is done.

As for the state of the bed - strip the sheets off before the cleaner comes and they won't see the state (unless you used lots of whipped cream and chocolate sauce the night before)

Take time to savour the fresh laundry - the smell of freshly washed armpits and praise yourself for being a better person from it (this is more about creating the reward centre of your brain to create ceratonin to make you feel good).

Always allow yourself a lapse if you are feeling poorly, but get back to the routine as soon as possible and make the treat a bit more special on the return.

Another motivator is start going out to see people more. You seen motivated to be better for them so it could be another kick in the pants to go it.

I hope something in there helps.

• Why is getting washed and/or clean so hard?

There are a few things you can try to make this easier.

If you work well with routine, create that routine - put up reminders to do in (maybe set a reminder on your phone) and try to force yourself into it. It takes 3 or more weeks for that constant repetition to become engrained into your brain (ie form new neural pathways in your behavioral centres) so you need to stick at it.

Are you reward focussed? Maybe allow yourself a special treat ONLY if you complete your task for the day. This requires discipline though.

Creating a routine that is performed on auto pilot can help. Basically if you wake up then you can't do anything (esp breakfast) before you have dragged yourself into the shower. The same on laundry day - if your machine is at home.

If you have to use external laundry then it is back to remiders on your phone to bug you until it is done.

As for the state of the bed - strip the sheets off before the cleaner comes and they won't see the state (unless you used lots of whipped cream and chocolate sauce the night before)

Take time to savour the fresh laundry - the smell of freshly washed armpits and praise yourself for being a better person from it (this is more about creating the reward centre of your brain to create ceratonin to make you feel good).

Always allow yourself a lapse if you are feeling poorly, but get back to the routine as soon as possible and make the treat a bit more special on the return.

Another motivator is start going out to see people more. You seen motivated to be better for them so it could be another kick in the pants to go it.

I hope something in there helps.

Children
  • Some really brilliant ideas Iain. 

I already set reminders for doing laundry, because the washing machine is hidden and I don't see it all the time, it totally slips my mind. 

Maybe like you say I make x morning(s) shower days and I have to shower that day. I am quite good at rules I set for myself, but then again not being clean feels like a victimless crime - I'm not bothering anyone by being smelly or dirty. 

Seeing people - yes if I have something in the diary I am more likely to wash and put on clean clothes because of the judgement. So that's another way to bribe myself!