Washing - why so hard?

This is quite embarrassing to write but I'm going to do it anyway. Okay - this might just be a 'me' thing - if that's the case please just ignore this post but: 

Why is getting washed and/or clean so hard?

I don't know if it is an autistic thing but getting in the shower/changing clothes/changing bedding and doing laundry is so hard for me. I am an independent adult I should be able to function better. :( 

I just had a shower and washed my hair for the first time in X weeks (too ashamed to say). I feel better now and I smell nice, so why don't I manage to do it more often? 

I live alone and rarely go out or see people, so my lack of washing isn't bothering anyone. I wanted to ask my weekly cleaner to help me change my sheets but I am too ashamed for her to see the state of my bed so its something I will have to tackle alone. 

Anyway, if anyone can relate please comment below, or if you just want to tell me I'm being a big baby that's also fine.

Parents
  • I definitely relate. I couldn't tell you why, but I feel this compulsion to leave it even though I know it would take literally 10 minutes to change my bed. So I sometimes go a couple months even though I know it's gross. 

I used to have the same kinda thing where I wouldn't brush my teeth enough or would go a few days without washing but I mostly do a lot better with that now. Partly because I have long hair, so if I haven't washed it for 2 days I'm aware of the grease and stuff every second of the day. Now it's only during periods of total disaster where I don't force myself to go through it every other day at least. 

• I definitely relate. I couldn't tell you why, but I feel this compulsion to leave it even though I know it would take literally 10 minutes to change my bed. So I sometimes go a couple months even though I know it's gross. 

I used to have the same kinda thing where I wouldn't brush my teeth enough or would go a few days without washing but I mostly do a lot better with that now. Partly because I have long hair, so if I haven't washed it for 2 days I'm aware of the grease and stuff every second of the day. Now it's only during periods of total disaster where I don't force myself to go through it every other day at least. 

Children
  • Yes it's so infuriating that I know logically, showering or changing my bedding will only take a few mins, but it's like...getting over that mental hurdle. It may not be an autism thing, I have a host of other things wrong with me physically and mentally that might be causing the block in my mind.