Psychiatry UK forms and assessment

I received an email today from Psychiatry UK following my referral from my GP, it's taken just less than 6 weeks from the referral being sent, they've got me set up on their portal, I have to upload some ID and proof of address then complete a self reporting form and my husband complete a slightly different one. My form is 25 pages long and has 73 questions, and his is 16 pages and has 48 questions. Once we upload the completed forms they'll then arrange my assessment appointment which is via video call.

So far I've spent since about 11am this morning going through the questions and I think I'm nearly done, but it's an exhausting process. It feels like I'm doing a character assassination of myself at times but I'm being honest and truthful, even when it isn't positive. Oddly enough, I find the questions relating to what I struggle with easier to answer than some of the more subjective questions, like what are my aspirations? Or, what are my strengths? I really struggle to answer those types of questions.

Anyway, I just wanted to say what the process is like in case anyone else is going through it at the moment. And to just generally acknowledge that things are happening because writing about it helps me process it.

Parents
  • Hi Becky! Oh my gosh, how funny, I have just been through exactly the same process. Except I don't have a husband, so my mum filled out the other form (with my help). 

I felt SO overwhelmed when they sent the forms to me it took me literally about 2 months to find the email again and open it and actually 'face the music' because it just felt like the questions - the number and length - were too too much. Anyway, I had a long train journey (there and back) and good train wifi, so I sat and filled most of these in on that trip which was good to help pass the time. I had to take breaks though, like a few days in between re-visiting and completing another chunk, revising my answers, etc. To make sure it was all 100% right. 

I did my best, but I still feel like it wasn't good enough - maybe I could have been more clear or more concise. Or explained things better. 

Like you I really struggled with my strengths and aspirations - I asked my mum for some input on these because I was drawing a blank.

Anyway, well done! My assessment is in 1 week but I'm 99% sure they're going to confirm what we already know...

x

• For once my hyperfocus was actually useful for something in completing the form. I think once I got myself into the right headspace to answer the questions it was just a case of sticking at it, although I did jump about between different sections so did it in a different order, basically as things popped up in my mind I did that bit.

I hope you're assessment goes well. If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait between submitting the forms and your appointment?

• Hey! I approached my GP for a referral in July 2022. I returned my initial screening form to my GP in August, which they forwarded on....then in early March 2023 I got a contact from Psychiatry UK with the NEW set of forms so I guess 6-7 months? But then I got really stressed and flustered and didn't look at the email again until June Laughing and when I sent everything off in June I got a call a week ago to book me in. So in total a year, but with a big gap that was my fault because I was panicking/feeling overwhelmed. 

One thing I did was in the 'notes' section on the PUK portal I asked them to confirm in writing when my forms had been accepted, so I wasn't worrying and stressing if everything was done correctly (first time I submitted them they rejected them as they weren't in the format they like). 

• Hi everyone.
    I haven't written in months here in the forum.

Cause I can't hold too much dialogue lately.

*I was fascinated by how you are.*

(Thank you)

<>

Therefore, the diagnosis in Italy for adults is almost impossible.

I report it because it is not something we can brag about.

I got mine thanks to data entry by scientific researchers.

So it was exhausting in terms of duration, I answered thousands of questions, plus visits scheduled for 8 months.

Then I had to write to them to get certified.

I've had others since, from people who previously didn't include autism not like The Rain Man.

But we exist, I swear we exist.

I'm a mix between Adam (Hugh Dancy ) and Dr. Spencer Reid.

In a world that doesn't accept us so much.

Diagnosis in Italy for adults otherwise costs around 2,000 euros (if I'm not mistaken).

Strange thing because as a nation Italy in terms of autism we are definitely ahead in terms of scientific research.

A disaster for adults, because many people end up with abstruse diagnoses and not their diagnosis.

I'm glad that things are working well for you.

We give you medicines.

Too long, sorry
  • That's actually realy helpful information, thanks for giving context why it took as long as it did for you. Sorry you had t delay by being overwhelmed though. It answers some questions I had about the process tbh.

Reply Children
No Data