Undiagnosed/ misdiagnosed

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this site and looking forward to discussing different subjects. I have recently been placed on the waiting list for an autism diagnosis at 23yrs old.

Is there anyone else out there who has taken a while to understand why they are the way they are? Or have been misdiagnosed with mental health problems, with autism being completely missed?

Would love to hear people's views on this. 

-Sarah 

Parents
  • Hi Sarah,

I am new to this too!

I have struggled for a long time to understand why I am the way I am. At school the teachers would tell me I was schizophrenic due to my behaviour. I have researched psychiatrists, had life coaches and read extensively on self help books to try understand my thoughts and behaviours. My wife was actively pushing me to go to the doctors as she is convinced I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for years.

It all changed when my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years back. As we researched ADHD, both myself and my wife recognised the traits as something I displayed, so I set off on the journey trying to understand if I had ADHD and got a referral from the GP. Somehow after a long wait, I was put forward for an autism assessment rather than an ADHD assessment. I explained this to the clinic put they advised I should proceed with the autism assessment after reviewing the documentation I had submitted. I must admit I was shocked when it come back positive. To get to the age of nearly 50, having never felt I fitted in, I had long made peace with the fact I think and act differently to others, but now I know why.

I have been fortunate I have managed with this undiagnosed, however a lot of things in the past make sense now. The depression people thought I have appears to be exhaustion from permanent masking. There have been points in my career when it appears I have sabotaged opportunities as my behaviour wasn't neurotypical, if I knew then what I know now I could have managed it differently. 

This is the first time I have spoken about my diagnosis which was about five months ago, but as I reflect on it, in that period I have adapted and managed myself better, and I have not had the periods of being down that my family and friends thought were depression. The critical part to this, and was emphasised to me by the autism practitioner, has been to not beat myself up and be kind to myself. I now walk away from situations that are causing me distress, I have embraced stimming and listening to head phones at work to increase concentration and turn down invites to go places without guilt for my own wellbeing.

Sorry for the long rambling reply, I hope it helpful in regards to your question, this has been useful for me.

• Hi Sarah,

I am new to this too!

I have struggled for a long time to understand why I am the way I am. At school the teachers would tell me I was schizophrenic due to my behaviour. I have researched psychiatrists, had life coaches and read extensively on self help books to try understand my thoughts and behaviours. My wife was actively pushing me to go to the doctors as she is convinced I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for years.

It all changed when my daughter was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years back. As we researched ADHD, both myself and my wife recognised the traits as something I displayed, so I set off on the journey trying to understand if I had ADHD and got a referral from the GP. Somehow after a long wait, I was put forward for an autism assessment rather than an ADHD assessment. I explained this to the clinic put they advised I should proceed with the autism assessment after reviewing the documentation I had submitted. I must admit I was shocked when it come back positive. To get to the age of nearly 50, having never felt I fitted in, I had long made peace with the fact I think and act differently to others, but now I know why.

I have been fortunate I have managed with this undiagnosed, however a lot of things in the past make sense now. The depression people thought I have appears to be exhaustion from permanent masking. There have been points in my career when it appears I have sabotaged opportunities as my behaviour wasn't neurotypical, if I knew then what I know now I could have managed it differently. 

This is the first time I have spoken about my diagnosis which was about five months ago, but as I reflect on it, in that period I have adapted and managed myself better, and I have not had the periods of being down that my family and friends thought were depression. The critical part to this, and was emphasised to me by the autism practitioner, has been to not beat myself up and be kind to myself. I now walk away from situations that are causing me distress, I have embraced stimming and listening to head phones at work to increase concentration and turn down invites to go places without guilt for my own wellbeing.

Sorry for the long rambling reply, I hope it helpful in regards to your question, this has been useful for me.

Children
No Data