Emotional/psychological attachment to objects/belongings

I was wondering today if this is an autistic thing.

I've spent several decades collecting objects and the last decade+ trying to rid myself of the majority.

However, I have given up on the idea of ever being minimalist.

I notice that I remember where everything came from, even, when purchased, which shop in which town.

I try not to be sentimental about things, but sometimes I can't help it.

My mother, who I believe was autistic, was a hoarder in quite an extreme sense.

My autistic friend finds it very hard to part with belongings.

Everything has an association.

Are others like this and are there contributors here who are genuinely minimalistic and don't have an attachment to things?

Parents
  • Bees: I also have a tendency to place a value on things that have survived long enough to become their own little snap shots of history.

Me too, especially home items.

I did have quite a collection of old kitchen utensils but it's one of things I got rid of (and then regretted).

I particularly miss the vintage wooden butter paddles.

being part of a spiritual path with animism

Animism has always interested me too.

I am currently saving cardboard tubes as I have found planting sweet peas in them makes them easy to transplant.

That's an excellent second use!

How are you meant to know if your experience of things isn't normal or average, apart from trying to gauge how other people feel

A very good question and actually it's only since my autism diagnosis + being on this forum, that I've realised that a lot of my experiences aren't 'normal'.

• Bees: I also have a tendency to place a value on things that have survived long enough to become their own little snap shots of history.

Me too, especially home items.

I did have quite a collection of old kitchen utensils but it's one of things I got rid of (and then regretted).

I particularly miss the vintage wooden butter paddles.

being part of a spiritual path with animism

Animism has always interested me too.

I am currently saving cardboard tubes as I have found planting sweet peas in them makes them easy to transplant.

That's an excellent second use!

How are you meant to know if your experience of things isn't normal or average, apart from trying to gauge how other people feel

A very good question and actually it's only since my autism diagnosis + being on this forum, that I've realised that a lot of my experiences aren't 'normal'.

Children
No Data