Emotional/psychological attachment to objects/belongings

I was wondering today if this is an autistic thing.

I've spent several decades collecting objects and the last decade+ trying to rid myself of the majority.

However, I have given up on the idea of ever being minimalist.

I notice that I remember where everything came from, even, when purchased, which shop in which town.

I try not to be sentimental about things, but sometimes I can't help it.

My mother, who I believe was autistic, was a hoarder in quite an extreme sense.

My autistic friend finds it very hard to part with belongings.

Everything has an association.

Are others like this and are there contributors here who are genuinely minimalistic and don't have an attachment to things?

Parents
  • Hi Debbie.....a bit off-topic....but regarding your horrendous problems with the bots and algorithms patrolling this place......

I have noticed that you quote bits from other people's posts more than most on these pages.  We established a while back that quoting more than 3 times in an individual post caused it to disappear into the sin-bin for review.  I'm now starting to wonder if your ongoing troubles are caused by a "metric/trigger" of perhaps "more than 10 quotes from other people in a 48hour period type thing?

Perhaps it might be worth cutting and pasting their words (if that is possible for you) rather than using the 'quote' function.

I do hope you can resolve this aggravation and frustration soon.

• That explains why I don't have that problem as I haven't worked out how to do it posting from a phone.

• It's all a minefield to me...I don't like all the "sifting" that has become necessary...and the fact that bots (rather than humans) are required in the first instance - always - it seems to me.

Reply Children
No Data