Desert Island Discs

The format has always been eight tracks, one book and also one luxury item on your desert island. Not a big list of groups, eight tracks only, most probably only give a reason for the top two favourites and why your one book is so important to you. The luxury item is up to you.

• I’m curious about your car now Queen! How is it unique? I love my car too (it’s also old but far from unique). I failed my driving test 5 times so when I finally got it I knew I’d always massively appreciate it, and that has proven to be the case.

• Yes, Mott the Hoople were struggling so Bowie gave them the song for free. I also like their other big hit, Roll Away the Stone. Bowie’s song Sorrow was originally The Mersey Beats.  I think a camera is a good choice.

• Hail Queen Debbie!

Princess

you can’t have an item to communicate to the outside world  with

Ah.  I think probably the ability to write then, so a PC or similar without internet.

Or a camera?

Mmmm .....Thinking

• I love some of those.

I believe that 'All the Young Dudes' was written by Bowie + gifted to Mott the Hoople (but that's not verified by Google, just a memory)...

• The rules dictate that you can’t have an item to communicate to the outside world  with. Sorry no internet. A cat was once allowed as it was a member of the Royal family being interviewed. Hail Queen Debbie!

1. Paint it Black.  Rolling Stones.
    2. The Weight.    The Band.
    3. Whiter Shade of Pale.   Procol Harum.
    4. The Killing of Georgie Part 1&2.   Rod Stewart.
    5. All the Young Dudes.   Mott the Hoople.
    6. Do I Love You.  (Indeed I do). Frank Wilson.
    7. Tiny Dancer. Elton John.
    8. I see the Moon.   The Stargazers.

Book would be   Works Minis in Detail. It is the definitive guide to all Mk1 & 2 Works Minis ever built. I never get bored of looking at it.

Luxury item.  A vault of good wine.

• My 8 tracks

1. The Wildhearts - Sky Babies - a 10 minute song that goes back and forth between poppy hooks and headbangy riffs with lyrics about aliens. It always makes me feel good to hear it
    2. Skyrim Atmospheres - a 40 minute track from a video game soundtrack that's really minimalist music with nature sounds running through it. I listen to it every day to stay calm.
    3. Boris - Flood
    4. Grateful Dead - Dark Star
    5. Mitski - Townie
    6. Elliott Smith - Say Yes
    7. Dir en grey - Vinushka
    8. Phish - Wilson

It's hard for me to pick a book because I'm in it for the story and so re-reading things isn't really my bag. If I can take a series, I would take the Edge Chronicles for childish escapism. If it has to be one book, maybe something to teach me an instrument and then that instrument as a luxury item.

Or if something to play video games on is allowed as a luxury, I'll take that.

• Ooh great idea for a thread.

I'd not bother with the tracks as despite being under 30 I'm very deaf so wouldn't be able to enjoy them.

I would take my Harry Potter book set, or just the first book if I'm not allowed the entire set. As a girl who lost her parents and also wore glasses I found myself feeling similar to the Harry Potter character in the first book. I felt something there and was totally absorbed in the book and series. I still am.

My luxury item would be my car. Oldish but very very unique, never seen anything like it and the engine though more difficult to hear now sounds amazing it always puts me at ease so I would take that.

Would love to see yours!

• Great idea for a thread.

I'm going to cheat and just choose a single album which would be Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.

The book would be The Bible.

I'm an agnostic but I enjoyed RE lessons in school and there is a lot of wisdom in it.

It's archaic too and tells us a lot about the past, and very poetic in parts (eg Song of Solomon).

I've never read it fully.

The luxury item would be a PC with internet connection!

Can I bring several cats too please?

You haven't given yours?