Does anyone else constantly replay conversations and think about what they wish they said?

I say "does anyone else" like it's a unique experience, particularly for the Autistics among us with terrible rumination issues, but I've noticed it is getting worse for me.

I can't respond to things in the moment so I end up really frustrated and angry immediately after.

I think a lot about future conversations. I see a therapist and I spend hours on end thinking about what I'll say, how I'll say it and even with a list of notes to accompany me, I'll still come away afterwards thinking about what I wish I said.

Is it because I'm not "in the moment" enough?

Parents Reply Children
  • Autists find this sort of change hard to do as out patterns of thinking become quite fixed, but once you learn to do this and reinforce it, it becomes the new normal.

Yes, it is indeed a learned skill. It actually wasn't 3-4 weeks at least not consistently more like it took a year on and off for me to get it %100 haha, but it's been worth it.

• It's definitely much easier if it doesn't feel like the thing is 'haunting' me, if that makes sense. If I hurt someone but I know they're not going to publicly shame me or something, then that makes it a bit easier - otherwise I'm always going to worry because then I worry about my safety.

Some things are easier to let go of than others, especially once I objectively look at the situation and realise I don't actually care.

• There have been times where it has taken ages to let go of something that is truly, objectively gone. The only thing that has allowed me to do so is if something else comes along to almost act as an initial distraction.

The decision to let something go is just that - a decision; a concious choice.

Autists find this sort of change hard to do as out patterns of thinking become quite fixed, but once you learn to do this and reinforce it, it becomes the new normal.

I think the time for the change of neural pathways for this sort of thing is 3-4 weeks, so it is good to practice lots during that time. Scary stuff, but in  a few months you will look back and say "meh, that was easy".