If you are thinking of leaving the forum ...

because of the arguments, why not hibernate?

I have done this before.

You can change your name to 'hibernating'.

It's good psychologically because it stops me from posting and indicates to others that you are having a break.

Also, you can choose to still PM (which I do) which isolates you less.

has chosen to do this yesterday.

I've been told by one person that someone they knew was thinking of joining but didn't because of the disagreements, others post far less, others join and then stay a short while.

I was sad to read s post today.

To the new people here: it's not always like this and only certain subjects are incendiary so if you can manage to avoid reading them, that would help.

I am guilty of having joined into arguments because I also feel passionately about certain subjects and I expect I will occasionally still make my point.

However, I think restraint here is the key and personal insults should never be acceptable.

I dearly hope that this thread doesn't go the same way as my 'arguments' thread and become one almightly row ...

Parents
  • As people are once again thinking of leaving, I'm just bumping this.

• This is all very disappointing. I came here because I hoped to find people who were more accepting, tolerant and kind and almost without exception I have found that to be the case here. So I’m very disappointed that anyone would feel so unhappy that they would want to leave.

I will simply not participate in any threads that don’t align with my interests or beliefs. There are plenty of other threads which do Slight smile

• But if (for example) someone is expressing racist views and all the non-racists just walk out of that thread, it just basically frees up the floor entirely for any racist members to share their thoughts and has even more chance to spill over. 

And a lot of people would feel less comfortable about coming to a place where racist views can be freely expressed without criticism. Imagine you're a person just coming to the site for the first time, looking for a community and the 4th thread you see has people being openly prejudiced against who you are with no consequence. Would you come back? To see that kind of thing posted without being removed is enough of a punch in the stomach; to see the rest of this new community not even challenging it would be horrifying. 

• I'm finding the whole autistic thing about struggling with intention a bit of a challenge.

Yes...I very often am challenged by this too.  My cues/buttons seem different and I can readily be misdirected or I can miscalculate (but more normally over-calculate) someone's intentions.

It's tricky, but being both watchful and mindful helps me navigate.

• My words speak for themselves. Any words you wish to add to them are your words rather than mine.

• Former Member

Racism being spouted on here (or anywhere) is just not acceptable!
    In fact it is something that has legal implications.
    I am not aware of racist content being posted during my time here and I encourage you to escalate any incidents that you are aware of.

Now, if by any mere chance, you are implying that I am a racist and that I have posted racist content, then please let me know. I mean you said, and I quote "those people are now being contested" - I'm not sure who these people are that you are referring to.

Call me out if you truly believe that I have been "spouting racism", otherwise please stop with this rubbish.
    I do hope that my interpretation of your post is not as you intended, but I cannot be sure unless you explicitly tell me.

You see, unlike those of "great intellect" that you refer to, I am a much simpler person and could really use your help in understanding exactly what you are implying. I'm finding the whole autistic thing about struggling with intention a bit of a challenge.

• i have seen racism spouted here in the past. When i first became a member here this forum had about ten members who all agreed with each other.  All of them seemed to think that their right wing views were somehow aligned to and a part  their autism.  And that they were great intellects and only they were capable of seeing the truth.

I'm glad that those people are now being contested.   But i do wish they.would leave instead of trying to capture an Autism forum for their ideology.

• To see that kind of thing posted without being removed is enough of a punch in the stomach; to see the rest of this new community not even challenging it would be horrifying. 

Yes, I agree, and this particular circumstance, along with the others you mention, I remember well.

• If you are insinuating that someone has been racist when they clearly have not been, then that is also a serious legal matter.

Please tell me @Tris, are you saying that I have posted racist content on here? Do you think that people (me?) have been openly prejudiced against who you are?

Do I really need to pursue a cease and desist order against you?

Why on earth have you turned this around to be about you, as you do so often?

• FYI, I specifically picked racism because it's been a while since I've seen overt racism here and thought it would be less confrontational as I would clearly not be referring to anything you've said. 

Just so you are aware, I've been following 's comments that have been directed at you.

They are unfair and inflammatory and I know that everything you have said has taken place on this forum, has.

• FYI, I specifically picked racism because it's been a while since I've seen overt racism here and thought it would be less confrontational as I would clearly not be referring to anything you've said. 

Children

Just so you are aware, I've been following 's comments that have been directed at you.

They are unfair and inflammatory and I know that everything you have said has taken place on this forum, has.