Alexithymia

Hello fellow autistic people!

I found this brilliant, accurate and thought provoking description of alexithymia on social media (Instagram)!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CovdEQysj00/?igshid=MWQ1ZGUxMzBkMA==

If you can’t access Instagram, here is the description:

Alexithymia 

’I have a theory about this term. What if it’s not that I don’t know what I’m feeling, it’s that I don’t know how to tell you. What if I feel it in such an extreme, primal and indescribable way that spoken language fails to encompass it? And instead of allowing to feel deeply you have pathologised my unique emotional experience?’

I completely relate to this, I feel emotions very intensely and it’s one of the things I love about being autistic! I particularly like how the description states that spoken language is insufficient to describe the depth of emotion we feel. This is why stimming is our natural means of communication and so cool.

Do you relate this description of alexithymia? What do you think about your autistic experience of emotions?

Parents Reply Children
  • I know that I have a hard time figuring hunger and thirst. I realise them when things get very bad. I guess childhood trauma played ots role in disconnecting ne from my body.. all together made me so unaware of what I'm sensing. Also includes awareness of feeling cold or overheated even though I'm very sensitive to temperatures, it still takes me time before it comes to my awareness that I'm not comfortable with the temperature that I'm experiencing. Thank you for the recourses!! I'll check them Slight smile