Do you join cultural events? How do you enjoy them?

With the summer being here again, I'm a little sad about the fact that I can't enjoy all the cultural events or festivals that usually often happen in this season. People seem to be very excited about it, but the crowds and the loudness aren't something I can handle often. My friends want to be in what sounds like a blast of fun and creativity and art but it's for several days away from where I live so I can't just go there and back home whenever I want.

Do you join these events at all? Is there a plan, strategy or things that help you enjoy or survive them? 

Parents
  • All I can say is that everyone is different, what some people like others don't/ 

But you have to ask yourself if there are any activities that you would like to join in with, if so could you possibly go for just a little while, and if you like it and feel you can stay on longer you could. 

You don't have to go to everything that your friends do, but you could go to a few things. 

Strategies: plan a way that you can leave early if you feel it is too much for you, plan how you can leave and any transport etc, or some quiet space to calm down for a while might be all you need. Noise reduction ear plugs might help, these can also protect your ears from very loud music.

what things in the event interest you? think about this when selecting possible events to attend. 

You could try to be in the outskirts of a crowd rather than in that crowd, which will give you more a sense of control. 

We are all different and all our ways of coping will be different from each other, so the best thing to do is make a list of things that could bother you. then come up with a solution to make it as comfortable as possible? 

You might find that some events you will really like. 

But remember it is important to be who you are, and that a lot of people avoid such events too. 

so it is perfectly normal for people to want to go and perfectly normal for people who do not want to go. 

• All I can say is that everyone is different, what some people like others don't/ 

But you have to ask yourself if there are any activities that you would like to join in with, if so could you possibly go for just a little while, and if you like it and feel you can stay on longer you could. 

You don't have to go to everything that your friends do, but you could go to a few things. 

Strategies: plan a way that you can leave early if you feel it is too much for you, plan how you can leave and any transport etc, or some quiet space to calm down for a while might be all you need. Noise reduction ear plugs might help, these can also protect your ears from very loud music.

what things in the event interest you? think about this when selecting possible events to attend. 

You could try to be in the outskirts of a crowd rather than in that crowd, which will give you more a sense of control. 

We are all different and all our ways of coping will be different from each other, so the best thing to do is make a list of things that could bother you. then come up with a solution to make it as comfortable as possible? 

You might find that some events you will really like. 

But remember it is important to be who you are, and that a lot of people avoid such events too. 

so it is perfectly normal for people to want to go and perfectly normal for people who do not want to go. 

Children
  • Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I was also curious about how others plan it or other coping strategies than mine. It happens a lot, specially that I'm new to my self-diagnousis, that someone would open my eyes to something that has been bothering and I've been masking for so long. Like noise for example, I started to notice how exhausting it is after reading about how someone else noticed that and was sharing how they dealt with it.. that's why I'm very curious to hear about others experiences